fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic courier" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "MOHAMMED SESAY" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 10:01:19 -0800
Subject: I NEED YOUR HELP
My name is Mohammed Sesay,24years,the eldest and only surviving son of RAHIM KAKABA SESAY from Dafur,SUDAN.My father,mother,brothers and sisters were killed by the wicked jajaweed miltants in Sundan.My fathers properties and family home was also destroyed and set abalze.My late father was a former Gold and Diamond merchant in North Africa and West Africa before he was killed by the rebles.
I was lucky to escape alive and came to Ghana with the help of UNHCR lady and i am now in Ghana as a refugee.
I want to use this opportunity to explain myself and my situation here in the Accra,Ghana .
I have two consignments at the kotaka International Airport,Accra,Ghana which has both been cleared and ready to be shipped The FIRST trunk box contains US$8.5Million(Eight Million,Five Hundrd thousand US Dollars) cash. And it was shipped early this year to one PETER FELDENZ who reside at Pallastr-Roxell,Germany.
Unfornutantely,after Mr.Peter Feldenz confirmed receiving the consignment from the Diplomat in his home in Germany,he could not be reached.All avenues to trace his whereabout after receiving the consignment proved abortive.And I was later told that he has moved from his home to unknown destination.And no word from him up to this day from him!
Because of this situation i was frustrated,distressed and in agony for a long time.In fact i was in a state of shock and disbelieve of what Mr.Peter Fendenz did to me.
Now I have just recovered from the agony I went through because Mr.Peter Feldenz took and ran away with my consignment of US$8.5Million.And I am ready to ship the SECOND consignment which contains US$5Million(Five Million US dollars) to you at YOUR DOOR STEP.
Please I have a lot of trust and confidence in you to receive and handle my consignment for me on my behalf and I will not want you to betray the trust and confidence I have reposed in you.
This SECOND(remaining) consignment of US$5Million is all about my life,hope and future for me.
Please reply me and include your direct telephone number so that I may communicate to you directly.
And I have also contacted a very good lawyer who will help me finalize the arrangement for the Diplomatic Courier to deliver the consignment to your door-step.