fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "Mr. Anthony Mills" <>
Reply-To: "Mr. Anthony Mills" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 20:29:47 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: hi

 Dear Sir/Madam
I apologize to you for any inconveniences caused if this mail does not meet your demands, though I do not intend to embarrass you by the contents of this very mail.My Name is Anthony Mills, credit accounts officer of  one of Bank in England.
I handle all our Investor's Direct Capital Funds and secretly extract 1.2% Excess Maximum Return Capital Profit (EMRCP) per annum on each of  the Investor's Capital Funds. As an expert, I have made over $9.2M from Investor's EMRCP and hereby looking for someone to trust who  will stand as an Investor to receive the funds as Investment Proceeds.
Brief history of funds: I have more than 158 Corporate Investors attached to my portfolio whose Capital Investment Funds are  being managed and administered by me. This Capital Investment Funds has a value of over US$22Billion net. The US$22B is been used for  trading in Stock Market, Crude Oil and Lending with Profit Returns.
Every end of year, each corporate investor is expected to receive  interest from his total Investment Capital Funds. However, I make an excess of 1.2% from the Investor's Investment Capital Funds annually which  have exceeded our targeted 20% of Total Investment Capital Funds. This extra of 1.2% from the 21.2% is been retained by me as my personal profits for managing the Capital Investment.However, I cannot claim these funds without presenting someone to stand as an  Investor otherwise our establishment will convert the funds into the  company's treasury. This is why I have come to you for the deal to take place.

Procedure: I will open a file in your name as an investor with some documents to be backdated to qualify you as our Investor so  as to claim the US$9.2M. The file will be presented to our governing board council for verification and approval and once your file is approved, you will be contacted to come down for signing of the  Investors FundsRelease Order that will facilitate and expedite the transfer of the funds to your account through our Investment Bank.
This is a  fair deal without any risk attached either on your part or on my  part as long as we comply with the laws governing the claiming of  funds in our establishment.
I do not want you to come down to sign  the Investor's Funds Release Order because you cannot defend the  source of the funds during the signing as our remittance department may decide to ask you some salient questions which you may not  answer correctly thereby jeopardizing the transaction.
Therefore  you will inform our establishment that you will not be able to come  down for the signing due to some reasons and hereby you appoint an attorney that willrepresent you for the signing.
I shall use my position in my bank to ensure that the approval is issued in your favour without  any delay and upon securing the approval the money will be transferred  to any of your nominated bank account.
If you are serious as I am, we will have this transaction concluded within 10 business days from  the date of start. If you have any question, feel free to contact me & also indicate your interest and capability of handling this arrangement.
Send to me your full names and telephone number your bank account number and your  address so that the attorney can start putting together the necessary paperwork that would  facilitate the release of the money to you.
Am waiting to hear from you soon
Yours faithful,
Mr. Anthony Mills.Contact me on this E-Mail:

Anti-fraud resources: