fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "moneygram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "federal republic of benin" (Benin, Cameroon, etc. are no Federal Republics, unlike Nigeria where this type of scam was invented)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- MoneyGram money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. Along with Western Union it is a preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Karoline Gaho <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: Mrs Karoline Gaho <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 04:24:17 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: CONTACT MONEYGRAM TRANSFAR ABOUT YOUR COMPENSATION FUND
This is to inform you that we have arranged your payment of ($2.800,000.00) Two million eight Hundred Thousand united state dollars in atm payment card on behalf of the Federal Republic of Benin Government, Under the co-operation of the new civilian Head of State, President DR BONI YAYI and the President of Central Bank Of West African States [BCEAO] Mr Philippe-Henri Dacoury-Tabley held a meeting last week concerning your payment, about your compensation funds.
You are listed and approved for this payments to be sent to you through MoneyGram money transfer payment. Your payment will be sent to you by moneygram, the amount you will receive per day is $7,500- The moneygram director below will send you the current standards track details you need to pick up your ($7,500..00) payment by MoneyGram, and you will receive $7,500.00 only every day until you receive the total sum of $2.800,000.00. The director administrator trust funds have already signed your payment.
Kindly contact the below director who is in position to release your payment by Moneygram. Contact Person==Dr Daniel Godwin +22968651555 MoneyGram Money Transfer E-mail: (moneygrammoneytransfar32@ yahoo.com.tr The MoneyGram payment center has been mandated to issue out your payment and you have to stop any further communication with any other person(s) or office(s) to avoid any hitches in receiving your payment. Note that the administrator payment need this details from you to process your payment:
Comply with Dr Daniel Godwin now because as soon as you send this required details to him, he will start sending your payment by MoneyGram. Email:moneygrammoneytransfar32@ yahoo.com.tr
Mrs Karoline gaho