fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: I C P C ANTI FROUD UNIT <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: I C P C ANTI FROUD UNIT <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 11:11:13 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: LETTER OF COMPENSATION/SETTLEMENT
ICPCÂ NIGERIA (Anti-Fraud Unit)Â Â
Head Office: Plot 802, Constitution Avenue
Zone A9 Central Area Garki Abuja.Â
P. M.B 535, TEL : +234 8036565253EMAIL; (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Attention;Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â LETTER OFÂ COMPENSATION/SETTLEMENTÂ Â Â We herebyinform you that out of our records for the year investigation it is drawn to usthat you have been victimized by the men of underworld(419ers/impostors). However,the management has been dutifully empowered by the Investigation bureau officeof the President and Commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces of Federal Republicof Nigeria to curb all illicit transaction and workload ofthisÂ perpetrator. In linewith the Anti-corruption crusade of theÂ President Goodluck Jonathan(GCFR)you are by this email notification to stop any contact regarding to yourillegal transaction with this international fraudsters called in Nigeria419ers.Out ofour findings there is no any inheritance, Contract and Lottery payment in yourfavor or name in Nigeria and the image of this country has been dentedinternationally during the past administration of the Federal Government ofNigeria. Presently,we have employed a strategy to remit sanity and vow to terminate the activityof this fraudsters by consolidating our security Network all over the countryin view to monitor all outgoing and incoming communication to enable us fishout and avert all illegal and suspicious transaction both domestically andinternationally respectively. Moreover,it occurs that some of our Financial Institutions (Bank) serve as a Condit pipeby which this fraudsters use to perpetrate the undo crime. We have signal allthese financial institutions to implement scrutinized investigation beforecarrying any transaction any bank found culpable of breaching the law must havetheir operational license revoke. Inaccordance with the criminal and other related offenseÂ act 25 of 1999constitution we have been officially compel by Senator. A. Aminu(JP), ChairmanSenate committee on Foreign Affair to mapped out billions of Dollars from theAnnual Budget to compensate all defrauded victims as part of the ongoingNational Reform Scheme of the president , By the strength of this developmentthe sum of US$7.Million United States Dollars (USD$5,000,000.00) has been SIGNEDto each beneficiaries as compensation, soÂ you will be receivingÂ theabove mentioned compensation fund without fee.Â Be inform from this dayÂ thatif we find outÂ through security agencyÂ that you areÂ still in emailand telephone communication with this criminalsÂ your compensationpaymentÂ will discard and terminated and you will report to theÂ Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for questioning your transaction ,Kindly send your address where weshall send theÂ Â original documents of yourÂ Â compensationby courier to you as it has approvedÂ Â 1. Your Full Name: 2. Your Residential Address: 3. Telephone NumberÂ (cell )For more details on receipt of thismail contact this office. Await for your reply Thanks for your anticipatedcooperation in this regards. Yours Faithfully.Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
Hon. Justice E. Ayoola
Chairman ICPC Nigeria.Â
(Independent Corrupt Practice Commission, ICPC)DIRECT LINE : +234 8036565253Â Â