fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "fiduciary agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "very confidential" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Diana Rose" <email@example.com>
Reply-To: "Mrs. Diana Rose" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:22:16 +0000 (UTC)
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 2015 MICROSOFT/AFRICA EMAIL AWARD INTERNATIONAL
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â WORLD INTERNET AWARD CENTRE AFRICA
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â FROM: INTERNATIONAL PROMOTION / PRIZE AWARD DEPT.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â PROMOTING INTERNET USAGE OVER THE GLOBE
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â (WE ENCOURAGE GLOBALIZATION)
RE: CONGRATULATIONS NOTICE
We are pleased to inform you of the result of the Lottery Winners International/Africa programs held on the 12th of JANUARY 2015. YourÂ e-mail address attached to ticket number 20511465897-6287 with serial number 472-971103 drew lucky numbers 8-66-97-22-46-88 which consequently won in the 2nd category, you have therefore been approved for a lump sum pay out of CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Due to mix up of some numbers and names, we ask that you keep your winning Information very confidential till your claims has been processed and your
Prize/money Remitted to you. This is part of our security protocol to avoid double Claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program by some participants. All participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from over 200,000,000 company and 300,000,000 individualÂ email addresses and names From all over the world. This promotional program takes place annually.
We hope with part of your winning you will take part in our next year international AWARD. To file for your claim, please
contact our/your fiduciary agent
MR Camp David
CITYGATE TRUST AGENCY
(Claims negotiator, claims assessor, claims inspector, claims
TEL/+ 234 9098982102 / - FAX/ 0234849307031
Note that all winning must be claimed not later than 30th January 2015. After this date all unclaimed, funds will be included in the next stake. Please note in order to avoid unnecessary delays and complications please remember to quote your Reference number and batch numbers in all correspondence.Â Furthermore, should there be any change of address do inform our agent as soon as possible. Congratulations once more from our members of staff and thank you for being part of our promotional program. Note: Anybody under the age of 10 is automatically disqualified.
Mrs. Diana Rose