fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- phone: +1-929-999-1734. email: firstname.lastname@example.org reminder for your (Safe-mail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- david rebholz contact firstname.lastname@example.org email again: (Safe-mail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "FEDEX NEW YORK" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 09:45:53 +0100
Subject: Fedex New York about Your Atm Card which is Ready now
I AM BRIAN PHILLIPS
FEDEX NEW YORK OFFICE
REMINDER FOR YOUR GOOD OPPORTUNITY NOW.
I WILL ADVICE YOU FOR SURE THAT I AM FROM TODAY GIVING YOU THE LAST PROMISE THAT IMMEDIATELY YOU TRY AND SEND THIS LAST FEE ON $100 DOLLARS BEAR IN MIND THAT YOUR ATM CARD WILL NO LONGER DELAY AGAIN BUT MUST DELIVER THE FOLLOWING DAY TO YOUR HOUSE ADDRESS AS HOMELAND SECURITY AND FBI WAS SOUNDED A SERIOUS WARNING TO FEDEX OFFICE IN THE GENERAL MEETING OF 2015 JANUARY THIS MONTH.
NOW I AM ADVISING YOU IN A SERIOUS NOTE THAT EVEN IF YOU PAID FEE PREVIOUSLY REMEMBER THAT THIS IS LAST FEE FOR ACKNOWLEDGE LAST DOCUMENT TO ATTACH IN YOUR FILE BEFORE WE SHALL DELIVER YOUR ATM CARD KINDLY BEAR WITH US THIS TIME.
WE ARE ALREADY ACTIVATED YOUR ATM CARD FOR 2015 SINCE THIS WEEK AS IT WAS ACTIVATED BY COOPRATE BANK ZENITH LONDON TO ENABLE YOU START WITHDRAWING YOUR MONEY IN ANY ATM MACHINE ALL OVER YOUR COUNTRY AS SUPPOSE.
I WILL ADVICE YOU AGAIN DO NOT PLAY WITH YOUR ATM CARD WHICH IS ALREADY ACTIVATED FOR NEW YEAR ON YOUR OWN GOOD BECAUSE YOUR ATM CARD HAVE OVER STAYED BECAUSE OF ATTACH RELEVANT DOCUMENT WHICH WAS DEMANDED BY UNITED NATION TO MATCH THEIR LAW OF POLICY SINCE 9/11 TERRORIST ATTACK IN UNITED STATE WHILE THE REASON FOR THIS ATTACH DOCUMENT IS BECAUSE YOUR ATM CARD CONTAIN HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY NOT ORDINARY CONTAINER OR BAG OF LUGGAGE SO BEAR WITH US WE CANNOT TELL LIE
NOW THE ONLY PERSON YOU WILL CONTACT IS DAVID REBHOLZ IN WEST AFRICA WHO WILL ISSUED YOUR ACKNOWLEDGE DOCUMENT FROM WEST AFRICA WHERE THE DOCUMENT SHALL ONLY COST $100 DOLLARS NO MORE PAYMENT UNLESS $100 DOLLARS.
THIS IS DAVID REBHOLZ CONTACT
fedex_rebholz_david_1_1_1@Safe-mail.net Email again: fedex_rebholz_david_africa@Safe-mail.net or phone him at +234-706-665-5666,
ALSO YOU CAN EVEN CONTACT ZENITH BANK LONDON TO CONFIRM ABOUT YOUR ACTIVATION SERVICE OF THE YEAR.
Zenith Bank London.
phone: +44-703-191-9236. or +44-703-191-6095.
IN ADITION HERE IS THE NAME TO SEND THE LAST FEE WITH WESTERN UNION OR MONEY GRAM AS URGENT.
NAME : FRANCISCA UDEOJI AMALIWU.
COUNTRY. : NIGERIA.
AMOUNT: $100 DOLLARS.
TEXT QUESTION: DELIVER.
TEXT ANSWER: CARD.
THEN YOU SEND THE MTCN NUMBER.
FedEx Office, New York
Reply here: email@example.com
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.