fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
Fraud email example:
From: rebeccawilliams <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: rebeccawilliams <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 02:31:16 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Donation of sister. Rebecca williams
Donation of sister. Rebecca williams
Bishop [38 rue des Martyrs cocody
Abidjan, Ivory Coast.
Dearest in Christ
I am from Kuwait. I am married mr. David Williams, who, before he died with Kuwait embassy in Ivory Coast for nine years in 2004. We were married for eleven years without a child. He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days.
Before his death, both born again Christian. Since his death I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which, against the Bible When my husband was alive he deposited the sum of (2.5 million euros) in the bank here in Abidjan suspense account.
Currently, the fund is still in the bank. Recently I told my doctor that I, the cancer is a serious disease problem. What bothers me most is my stroke sickness. Knowing my condition I decided to donate this fund to church or the one I would recommend this money the way here use. I want to promote the word of God and the efforts to maintain the house of God a church that will use this fund for orphanages, widows.
The Bible is for us to understand that blessed is the hand that gives. I took this decision because I do not not every child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives Christians, and I do not know my husband's efforts will be used by unbelievers. I do not want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly manner. That's why I. In this decision I have no fear of death, so I know where I'm going. I know I'm going to be in the bosom of man. Exodus 14 vs 14 says that the Lord will fight my case and I hold my peace.
I do not need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health hence the presence of my husband's relatives around me always and I do not want them to know about this development. In God all things are possible. As soon as I'll get an answer to give you contact the bank here in Abidjan. I want you and the church to always pray for me because the lord is my shepherd. My happiness is that I lived a life worthy Christian. Who wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and in truth. Always pray for her whole life.
Reply to give me more information about, in your answer is in the procurement of another Church or the person to me for the same purpose room. Let me assure you that they act accordingly as indicated. I hope to get an answer.
Send me the following information down.
Your full name ..........
Street Address ...........
The cast ........
Blessed are still in you.
Sister Rebecca Williams.