fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "lome togo" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 06:46:39 -0800
Subject: Dear child of God
My name is Mrs. Carian Funsho From Lome Togo,an aging widow suffering from long time Cancer sickness. I have some funds I inherited from my late husband, the sum of ($2.000.000.00) Two Million U.S Dollars, and I needed a very honest and God fearing person who will use this money for Charity work, I mean to help the poor and less privileged people in the society, This is my last wish Because my doctor declared recently that i might not survive this sickness, The world is meaningless to me right now, I grew up as an orphan and i don't have a child who will inherit this fund. You can take 30 percent of the money for your personal use and use the rest to help the poor masses and i will need those informationâs of yours bellow.
YOUR FULL NAME-------------------
YOUR RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS
YOUR PHONE NUMBER----------------
The above information will enable me to send a letter to the bank,This letter will allow them recognized you when you are acting on my behalf,Upon receiving this information i will send to you the contact of the bank so that you will contact them for the transfer. When I hear from you next I will link you up with my Bank immediately without any delay, for you to contact them for the transfer. My Dear Please trust in God Because I did not contact you by my power but by his Grace. Please remember me in your daily prayers as i will be under going the Heart operation soon. Iâm waiting to hear from at my email address here(firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mrs. Carian Funsho