fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Yahoo, Japan; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Private Business Investment" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 18:01:44 +0400
Subject: Business Investment
Dear Potential Partner,
We are facilitating for a private investor who is facing crises in his country. He urgently wants to relocate and invest his funds in a long-term business venture in your country/company under your supervision.
The amount available for the investment is 35m euros( Thirty Five Million Euros). My Client is willing to give 15% as a partner and another 10% as Management Commission for your services. This is however subject to negotiation but be rest assured you will have absolute control of the investment.
You will be required to;
1. Receive the funds.
2. Invest and Manage the funds profitably.
We expect to hear from you urgently as this is a high priority Investment Placement. My client desires absolute confidentiality and professionalism in the handling of this funds and subsequent investments
If you are interested, please send down your response thru this e-mail email@example.com for further details, terms and agreement.
Reply me thru this e-mail "firstname.lastname@example.org"
Disclaimer: This message transmitted with it are confidential and privileged. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.