fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447045767067 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- +448712184503 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: STEPHEN CROCKARD <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 22:10:29 +0100
Subject: RE. YOUR FINANCIAL ACTIVITIES
May 3 at 3:37 PM
STEPHEN CROCKARD (UK)
INTERNATIONAL POLICE (INTERPOL UK).
RE. YOUR FINANCIAL ACTIVITIES.
I AM. MR STEPHEN CROCKARD. HEAD INTERNATIONAL POLICE(INTERPOL) UK}.
THIS ORGANIZATION IS SET UP TO FIGHT AGAINST,CORRUPTION,CRIME AGAINST
CHILDREN,CYBERCRIME,DRUGS,ENVIRONMENTAL FASTID,FINANCIAL CRIME,
FUGITIVES,MARITIME PIRACY,ORGANIZED CRIME,PEOPLE
SMUGGLING,PHARMACEUTICAL CRIME, TERRORISM,TRAFFICKING IN HUMAN
BEINGS,TRAFFICKING IN ILLICIT GOODS,VEHICLE CRIME, WANTED PERSON,WAR
CRIME,WEAPON, WORKS OF ART ETC IN THE GLOBAL COMMUNITY.
RECENTLY, WE HAVE BEEN WORKING CLOSELY WITH SECRET AGENCIES AROUND THE
GLOBE TRYING TO STOP INTERNET FRAUD THAT IS AIMED AT UNSUSPECTED
VICTIMS IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND OTHER PARTS OF THE EUROPE
AND ASIA . WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT YOU HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH FRAUD
STARS IN NIGERIA BENIN REPUBLIC, GHANA ETC .
I THEREFORE OBLIGE THAT YOU RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL IF YOU ARE IN THIS
SITUATION PRESENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY BECAUSE WE HAVE SOLUTION TO GET THIS
PEOPLE AND ALSO WE HAVE ARRESTED SOME SUSPECTS AND HAVE ALSO BEEN ABLE
TO SECURE A JUDGMENT IN YOUR FAVOUR.
MORE DETAILS WOULD BE GIVEN TO YOU ONCE YOUR RESPONSE IS RECEIVED.
INTERNATIONAL POLICE UK(INTERPOL)