fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "huge amount of money" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "LOUISVILLE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT " <email@example.com>
Reply-To: "LOUISVILLE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT " <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 13:27:29 -0400 (PYT)
Subject: GOOD NEWS
ATTN DEAR FRIEND
I have Paid the Shipping fee for your Check of 1.2 million dollars for scam and fraud victim compensation .but the The Director of United bank Of Africa Benin Rep Dr Emma Eze told me that before the check will get to you that it will expired and the director told us that is not easy for the bank to cleared check that contained huge amount of money in your country due to the rate of fake check that is coming from Africa So we told the director of the United bank of Africa to cash the $1.2 MILLION DOLLARS and he cash it and register it in cash with DHL SHIPPING DELIVERING COMPANY registration Number of your Package;EG58945 CODE NUMBER: PX002 all the necessary arrangement of delivering your $1.2 MILLION DOLLARS in cash was made with DHL COMPANY.
As for our agreement with the DHL COMPANY your package will leave this Country tomorrow morning,Please reconfirm your contacts information to DHL Company to able them meet up with you immediately the Diplomat Agent arrived to your Country .
Contact person: Director Mr FRANK UDO
Tel: +2348086568555 OR +229 98797889
Please, Send them your contacts information to able them locate you immediately they arrived in your country with your fund.This is what they need from you. 1.YOUR FULL NAME2.YOUR HOME ADDRESS.3.YOUR CURRENT HOME TELEPHONE NUMBER.4.YOUR CURRENT OFFICE TELEPHONE.5.A COPY OF YOUR PICTURE6.YOUR NEAREST AIRPORT
Note . The DHL COMPANY don't know the contents of this Boxes.They did not know the contents was money. this is to avoid them delaying with the BOXES.So do not let the company know the content of the package because we register the fund as family treasure . You can call the Director of DHL company with this line:+2348086568555
Hon Charles Udo
Former Governor Central Bank Of Africa