fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "necessary legal documents" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "hundred thousand great british pounds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447011137826 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
From: "Lawrence Vis" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 13:11:16 -0700
Subject: OFFER LETTER FROM DR. LAWRENCE VIS
KAS BANK. Suite 560 Salisbury House
London Wall Broadgate London
EC2M 5NU,United Kingdom
Please accept my apologies if this request does not meet your personal ethics as it is not intended to cause you any embarrassment in what ever form. I got your contact email address from the internet directory and decided to contact you for this transaction that is based on trust and your outstanding. I have an interesting business proposal for you that will be of immense benefit to both of us. Although this may be hard for you to believe, but we stand to gain £19,850,000.00 GBP between us in a matter of days. Please grant me the benefit of doubt and hear me out.
My name is Dr. Laurens Vis, Credit and Investment Director, KAS Bank London, located at Suite 560 Salisbury House London Wall Broadgate London EC2M 5NU, United Kingdom. I handle all our Investor's Direct Capital Funds and secretly extract 1.2% Excess Maximum Return Capital Profit (EMRCP) per annul on each of the Investor's Capital Funds. As an expert, I have made above 19.5Million GBP (Nineteen Million Five Hundred Thousand Great British Pounds Only) from Investor's EMRCP and hereby looking for someone to trust who will stand as an Investor to receive the funds as Tenure Investment Proceeds.
Brief history of funds: I have more than 208 Corporate Investors attached to my portfolio whose Capital Investment Funds are being managed and administered by me. This Capital Investment Funds has a value of over 19.2Billion GBP. The £19.2B GBP is been used for trading in Stock Market, Crude Oil and Lending with Profit Returns. Every end of the year, each corporate investor is expected to receive interest from his total Investment Capital Funds. However, I make an excess of 1.2% from the Investor's Investment Capital Funds annually which have exceeded our targeted 20% of Total Investment Capital Funds. This extra of 1.2% from the 21.2% is been retained by me as my personal profits for managing the Capital Investment.
However, I cannot claim these funds without presenting someone to stand as an Investor/beneficiary otherwise our establishment will convert the funds into the Government Treasury Account as unclaimed fund and the fund will be wasted. This is why I contacted you to seek your consent to present you as an Investor/Beneficiary of the funds. I have also employed the service of an Attorney who will secure all necessary legal documents that could be use to back up this claim. All the attorney need to do is to fill in your names to the documentations and legalize it in the court here to prove you as the legitimate beneficiary of the funds, and present the documents to the bank to release the funds to you as the rightful beneficiary, once the funds is release to you we will share the funds 60% FOR ME AND 40% FOR YOU because am not a greedy person.
This is a fair deal without any risk attached either on your part or on my part as long as we comply with the laws governing the claiming of funds in our establishment. All I require is your honest co-operation to enable us sees this deal through, and with my position in the bank as a Credit Investment Director, I will do every thing possible to protect your interest and to make sure that everything went successfully.
If you are interested in this deal, kindly send me your complete information, your full names and address, Your Private telephone and Fax numbers, and Cell phone so that the attorney will start processing the necessary paperwork that would facilitate the release of the funds to you.
Dr. Laurens Vis