fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- "international court of justice" (not involved with lotteries)
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "stamp duty" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447023029655 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr Martins Feverrre" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 18:50:46 +0100
Subject: Attn: BENEFICIARY
Sur Cour Internationale de Justice
The International Court Of Justice has ruled in favour of all payment
beneficiaries/Inheritance beneficiaries,creditors as Instructed by United Nation
in Conjunction with World Bank. We have also signal Barclays Bank London for final
Crediting of your account as you may desire. United Nations dedicated team of
lawyers and human right activists, who consist of some fraction of the European
and American legal luminary, have been working to make sure that you receive your
overdue payment as been delayed in the past unconditionally without any
Sequel to the legal fight to make matters so simple for you, the Lawyers have
succeeded in the conclusion of the road map for your fund transfer into your bank
account. Having presented your long years ordeal to the International Court Of
Justice, the President of this court with the judges has unanimously ruled in your
favour pertaining the non-payment of any applicable Taxes Except registration of
your Stamp Duty with The British Ministry of Justice for Legal approval, until
your fund is received in your bank account. This is the wonderful achievement.
However, you have been required by the International Court Of Justices Registry,
for the establishment of the stamp duty to this effect,so that your fund will be
transfer by today. You are also advised to write Dr John Smith (Auditor General,
World Bank Payment Center London) as He is the Person to transfer your fund. Your
fund is with Barclays Bank but Dr JOHN SMITH Has the Mandate to transfer your fund
and will direct you on what to do.
It is important that you reconfirm to DR JOHN SMITH (AUDITOR GENERAL,WORLD BANK
PAYMENT CENTER LONDON) (TEL: +447023029655, Email:email@example.com) right
away with the following for cross checking to avoid mistakes.
1) YOUR DIRECT PHONE/FAX NUMBER
2) YOUR TOTAL/AMOUNT
3) YOUR BANKING INFORMATION
The International Court Of Justice has solidified all plans to make your payment a
success.Please, try and call DR JOHN SMITH immediately TEL: +44 7023029655, Email:
SO BE TRUTHFULL AND HUMBLE IN ANY DIRECTION GIVEN TO YOU.CONGRATULATIONS IN
Dr Martins Feverrre
Registrar, International Court Of Justice
international Court of Justice CourtInternationale de Justice