fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "money gram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "money transfer control number" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Promise Paul" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 01:33:46 +0600 (BDT)
Subject: Your payment
I know it is because of your past expenses that make you not to believe me
but I told you before that I cannot deceive you because my bible says what
shall it profit a man to gain material things and loose your soul, any way
their is good news now, i raised some money to help you out and make sure
that your payment will be release to you the same day you send the $85.00
as well. I borrowed money yesterday after service from my Pastor, then you
have to send the remain balance now only $85.00 but i don't see the reason
why you have keep silent on me not to respond back, honestly I am just
disappointed at your behaviors before because you know that I cannot
deceive you, Just pay the $85.00 and leave rest for me watching me if I am
telling you lies or not.
Your payments is already approval today for you to receive it but the
management here says that you must pay $85.00 for the Stamp and activation
charge before you can receive the payment today, please send the charge
through western union immediately, i have assured you a time without
number that this is genuine and legitimate. I swear If I fail to release
your payment after you send the $85.00 as I promise don't count on me
again, I cannot fail you, I promise you, dont fear as soon as you send
the $85.00 today please leave the rest to me and see if I am lie to you
because I can not use my life swear because of $85.00, how can I swear
against my life because of this small amount? it is to show you that I am
telling you the truth.
You have an assurance of receiving your payment once this is settled and
whatever that arises next shall be taking care of by this our head office,
but i swear nothing is going to come up again after this and i will make
sure you start receiving your funds immediately or i will write a petition
against our headquarter office and they will have whatever you have spent
on your funds sent it back to you first thing tomorrow. Just try and
understand because i do not want you to loose your funds that you have
spent so much on now you have only one step to receiving your funds. Do
not allow the devil to turn your mind against this because by the time you
realize you have a mistake, it might be too late to recover.
I will guarantee you 100% sure that you will not pay any more money after
you send this fee because you will pick up your first payment within
45minutes after receiving the last fee from you and I will bear the cost
of the fee if it is any other fee but I believer that no any fee we will
ask you to pay again I am makes sure that I must put smile on your face in
next 45 minutes I am waiting for your payment because this transaction has
taken so long and I don't want you to lose this fund at the end This are
your funds which is already in our system to transfer to you and it will
be release to you as soon as you pay the (A.R.O) Authorization Release
Order fees of $85.00 USD.
Please do not send any more money again now for you to know that we are
100% sure that this fee is only money you will send in this office here is
your western union information you will use to pick up your first payment
is out already now and your total amount is $1.5Million the each payment
you will receice per day is $4,500 everyday.
HERE IS THE INFORMATION TO SEND THE MONEY TO WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER
OR MONEY GRAM BELOW:
Receiver Name :::::::: DEAN MOLU
Country :::::::: Benin Republic
City :::::::: Parakun
Question :::::::: color
Answer :::::::: Blue
Amount :::::::: $85.00
Money Transfer Control Number :::::::: (M.T.C.N)
Sender's name ::::::::
Sender's Direct Telephone::::::::::
I promise you as soon as we hear from you with the payment of $85.00
Today we shall send your pick up information the same day you send the
$85.00 I swear.
Mr. Promise Paul
Foreign Operation Manager
Telephone +229 99520286