fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: From Godwin Given <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 16:09:07 +0100
Subject: Re:Your Delayed Payment
HEADQUARTERS NEW YORK.
FOREIGN CONTRACTS INVESTIGATION UNIT.
THE CHAIRMEN AND RANKING MEMBERS
OF THE SENATE COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN RELATIONS, THE SENATE COMMITTEE ON
APPROPRIATIONS, THE HOUSE COMMITTEE ON APPROPRIATIONS, AND THE HOUSE
COMMITTEE ON INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS.
Approved and Witnessed by -
Sen. Russell Feingold, D-Wisconsin
Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wisconsin
White House and House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Illinois,
Sen. Russell Feingold, D-Wisconsin, Senate filibuster.
Senate Majority Leader Bill First, R-Tenn.
We Wish to inform you that the above mentioned bodies has taking up
all the unpaid foreign payment in Nigeria Africa and to make sure that
those that was deceived in one way or the other received their funds
without much delay. We took over these payment due to much complains
received in our offices world wild that too many beneficiaries has not
received their over-due payment but rather spent much money from their
hard earned money without any positive results. In this regards, we
have completed our meetings with the Federal Government of Nigeria
Africa and approval has been officially issued and signed to release
the entire owed payment file which you are one of them.
Due to time limit to complete all the approved file, an ATM CARD
payment was approved and issued, endorsed by the appropriate bodies
and is now ready to be send to your doorstep but it is very important
for you to know that only the sum of US$10 Million was approved for
your payment and it has been programmed in the international ATM CARD
on your name which you can withdrawal from any ATM machine in the
world. You are therefore advised to contact our AGENT OFFICER in
Nigeria. Dr Eze Johnson for the receiving of your ATM CARD. Already
instructions have been given to him to attain to you and others as
soon as you made contact with him. There is nothing much to pay except
your courier delivery fee of your ATM CARD to your address which is
US$150 only and nothing more. Contact him on his direct email address:
firstname.lastname@example.org , it is very important for you to call him
on:+2347031984596, for Quick service as much beneficiaries are
Congratulations in Advance!!!