fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "economic and financial crime commission" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "(efcc)" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "my direct line" (a "direct line" in a scam usually means an untraceable mobile phone number used by a scammer in an internet cafe, a redirection service number that forwards to a mobile or a free voicemailbox in a different country.)
- "foreign remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 18:28:12 -0400
Subject: From Mrs Lizzy : We anticipated your kind co-operation.
ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION
FOREIGN REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT.
We acknowledge your mail to this office, it since you have understood the procedure carefully, listen carefully and read carefully as explain to you. We are
going to register an online banking account on your name here and the fund will be deposited with bank then the bank will give all instruction and details of
the online banking account for your wire transfer personally online.
The fee requested is for the activation of your online banking account. This will be setup immediately these fee is been submitted, note importantly that the
fee is refundable fee into your online banking account immediately it has been activated and setup here.immediately your online banking account has been
setup here all document to cover up your fund been transfer without any further question .
I am Mrs Lizzy Vaughn, the Account Processing officer, in charge for the Processing of your Online Banking Account, where you will be given the full access
and login information to your Account and access your fund that will be deposited in your online Banking Account. Note: This is not a scam and we do not want any form of scam abuse to this Office. This compensation fund was endorsed by the United States Government and the United Nations in conjunction with the ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC). This means that your safety is fully Guaranteed.This compensation is a recovered payment that was allocated by the United Nation Anti-Fraud Unit, in conjunction with the United States Government that EFCC should pay all scam victims a compensation of $2.5 million Dollars through an online banking payment method.
On this regard, the United States Government and the United Nations in Conjunction with the ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC) has held several
closed door meeting concerning the eradication of these scam Artist and fraudster. After several investigations, we have been able to Track down some of this
scam artist and fraudster, of which we have also Recovered back more than half a billion united states dollars To enable us proceed immediately, you are hereby required to submit the required Refundable Activation Charges of $300.00 which is refundable as soon as your Account is completely secured in your Name. the $300.00 is to activate your Account for full deposit of your Compensated Fund and it is the only requirement needed to complete this processing of your account until your total fund is transferred by you personally to your Private Bank Account.
As soon as your payment is paid and made available for pickup and procedures, you are required to confirm to this office, a scan copy of your Payment Receipt
OR Details of your payment for confirmation of your payment here to enable us proceed to the registration and immediate Activation of your Online Banking
Account so we can commence the full deposit of your fund to your account and get back to you with the full access/login information of your Account.
We want you to understand that you are dealing directly with the ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC ), and with all assurance, you are 100% risk
free and covered in any branch of the law enforcement as even the FBI are fully aware of this compensation payment. Please for further verification regarding
this Compensation Payment; feel much free to contact me on my direct line at +234-8034758983 if there is any clearance needed regarding this Compensation
Your Safety is 100% guaranteed.
We anticipated your kind co-operation.
Looking forward to your payment receipt for procedures.
With Best Regards.
Mrs Lizzy Vaughn
EFCC FOREIGN OPERATIONS DEPT,