fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "hundred thousand us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "MR. JAMES F. ENTWISTLE" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 23:56:53 +0000
Subject: ATTENTION: DEAR SIR/MADAM,
ATTENTION: DEAR SIR/MADAM,
THIS MESSAGE IS DIRECTED TO YOU BASED ON THE LETTER WE RECEIVED
FROM THE UNITED NATION FUNDS AGENCY (UNFA) AND THE G8 SUMMIT MEETING
THAT WAS HELD EARLY THIS YEAR REGARDING TO THIS YEARâS (2015) REVIEW OF
THE GLOBAL FINANCIAL MATTERS AND INVESTIGATIONS BY INTERNATIONAL
MONETARY FUND AS OBSERVED BY THEIR FINANCIAL INTELLIGENCE CENTRE. IT WAS
REVEALED, THAT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IS AMONG THE LIST OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE
NEVER RECEIVED ANY OF THEIR PAYMENTS AMONG LOTTERY/INHERITANCE FUNDS AND
VICTIMS WHO HAVE LOST A LOT OF MONEY TO SCAMMERS WHILE TRYING TO CLAIM
THIS IS THE THIRD TIME YOUR PAYMENT FILE HAS COME TO MY DESK, AND EVERY
TIME AN EXECUTIVE ORDER COMES FROM THE GOVERNMENT ORDERING THAT YOUâRE
FUND SHOULD BE RE-CALLED BACK TO THE WORLD BAND ESCROW ACCOUNT, WITHOUT
ANY GENUINE REASON.
MEANWHILE, OUR PAYMENT SETTLEMENT SYSTEM (PSS) HAS RECEIVED ANOTHER
PERMANENT AUTHORITY/IRREVOCABLE RELEASE/UNCONDITIONAL PAYMENTS GUARANTEE
TO PAY YOU OFF YOUR WINNING/INHERITANCE FUNDS VIA:
1. ATM MASTER CARD.
2. BANK TO BANK TRANSFER.
TO ISSUE OUT THE FUND, YOU ARE THEREFORE ADVISED TO CONTACT MRS. NOMA
RASHIDA OF FIDELITY BANK PLC, THIS IS BECAUSE THE UNITED NATIONS
ANTI-CRIME COMMISSION AND INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND (IMF) HAS CHOSEN
HIM TO PAYOUT YOUR FUND. KINDLY CONTACT THE FIDELITY BANK PLC NOW WITH
THE BELOW CONTACT DETAILS FOR THE RELEASE OF YOUR FUND TO YOU:
CONTACT: MRS NOMA RASHIDA
DIRECTOR REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT
CONTACT EMAIL: [NOMA.RASHIDA@HOTMAIL.COM]
DIRECT OFFICE LINES: +229 98620089
WE ARE HERE ADVICE YOU TO INDICATE THE METHOD OF PAYMENT WHICH WILL
BE BEST TO REDEEM YOUR FUNDS WHEN CONTACTING (MRS. MRS NOMA RASHIDA) AND
FORWARD TO HIM THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AS STATED BELOW:
1. YOUR FULL NAME
5. YOUR AGE
7. CELL/MOBILE NUMBER
8. YOUR ACCOUNT NUMBER WERE YOUR FUND WILL BE TRANSFER INTO
NOTE: YOU ARE ADVISED TO FURNISH MRS. MRS NOMA RASHIDA WITH YOUR
CORRECT AND VALID DETAILS. ALSO BE INFORMED THAT THE AMOUNT TO BE PAID
TO YOU IS $4.8MILLION (FOUR MILLION, EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND US DOLLARS)
WE EXPECT YOUR URGENT RESPONSE TO THIS EMAIL AS TO ENABLE US MONITOR
THIS PAYMENT EFFECTIVELY THEREBY MAKING CONTACT WITH MRS. MRS NOMA
RASHIDA AS DIRECTED TO AVOID FURTHER DELAY.
THANKS FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING AS YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.
YOURS IN SERVICES,
MR. JAMES F. ENTWISTLE
PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER