fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Once again" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 17:35:50 -0700
Subject: United States Senate
1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW,
Washington, DC 20500, United States
President Barack Obama announced the nomination of U.S. Senator John Kerry to replace Hillary Clinton as secretary of state, calling him the 'perfect choice' to guide American diplomacy in the years ahead.
Obama settled on Kerry, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and the 2004 Democratic presidential candidate, after U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice withdrew from consideration last week. He said he expected quick Senate confirmation of the Massachusetts lawmaker.
'As we turn the page on a decade of war, he understands that we have to harness all elements of American power,' Obama said at the White House.
And he stated that your $50M will be release on your name in within the 48 hours as soon as you comply back White House with the follow information:
Your Full Name,
Your Direct Telephone Numbers,
Your Direct Office Phone Numbers,
YOUR Mobile Phone Number,
Your Correct Home Address AND ZIP CODE,
Your Office Address,
Your Current Occupation,
Your Weekly/Monthly Income,
Your Next Of Kin Name,
Your Next Email Address,
Your Next Telephones Numbers
1) Bank to bank Transfer: Yes/No
2) Delivery of ATM Visa Card by courier: Yes/No
Contact Mr. Robert Peter via this email for claim processing:
Mr. Robert Peter Executive, Committee on Funds Payment.
Phone: +229 99922562
Once again congratulation
United States Senate.
text me on +1 (980) 222 4941
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.