fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "swift card payment center" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "required fee " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: JAMES ANTHONY
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 10:21:34 +0000
Subject: YOUR COMPENSATION FUND OF US$44,000.000.00 MILLION
(WORLD BANK ASSISTED PROGRAM)
DIRECTORATE OF INTERNATIONAL
PAYMENT AND TRANSFERS.
COTONOU, BENIN REPUBLIC
WIRE TRANSFER/AUDIT UNIT
Meanwhile, This is a true compensation Approved by the UNITED NATION to compensate you, maybe you have been scam before and again you may be victim of scam by wrong people who paraded them self on what they are not, so because of this, the United Nation approved the U.B.A bank in Africa where your fund originated to process an ATM MASTER CARD with valid cash of US$44,000.000.00 million in your favor in order to compensate you, so that if you have been scammed before this is a compensation and you will be making your withdrawals from the ATM MASTER CARD as you are allowed to make withdrawals minimum of US$20,000 (Twenty Thousand United State Dollars) per a day or every 24hrs from any ATM MACHINE around you. Your ATM MASTER CARD will be delivered to your address through courier delivery services within 3 days.
please note that we are only using FEDEX COURIER COMPANY, they are the company that we signed a contract with, so we can actually monitor the delivery, so many complaints are rising up every day, concerning the inability of the young courier companies unable to make deliveries, we have also learnt that the DHL company asks for security fees, IMF fees, FBI fees and others, the only payment that the courier companies anywhere in the world asks of is just the delivery fee and the security fee, which is very understanding, the united nations have warned all the security agencies to desist from an illegal act, as this fund is been sent to you due to the rate of poverty, so no one has the power to stop your delivery. In other to make sure that you are safe, we will assign a special task force team to follow up your delivery with the delivery agent so as to be sure that nothing happens to you and your ATM card after you receive it.
UPON THE RECEIPT OF THIS INFORMATION, YOU ARE OBLIGE TO CALL ATM OFFICE IMMEDIATELY
BELOW ARE YOUR ATM CARD DATA :
AMOUNT TO CREDIT : US$44,000.000.00 MILLION
YOUR ATM CARD ACCOUNT # : 4033052100311896
CARD LIMIT PER A DAY : US$20,000
EXPIRING DATE : 12/08/2016
PIN CODE # : 7501
You are required to confirm your full information.
Your full name
Your full contact Address
Your Telephone/mobile number.
Copy of your International Passport or Driver's license
Note that the only amount to send down to courier company is your ATM card delivery charges and the security fee which US$127.00 only, and no one will ever ask for another fee, if any one does, please report to us immediately. You have absolutely nothing to worry about this delivery and you will be surprise on how everything will work out accordingly.
YOUR ARE TO SEND THE REQUIRED FEE TO THIS AGENT NAME THROUGH MONEY TRANSFER ONLY.
RECEIVERS NAME......PETER NWAKASI
COUNTRY... BENIN REPUBLIC
TEXT QUESTION... GOD IS
TEXT ANSWER.. ABLE
Once you send these above information your ATM MASTER CARD will be processed and delivered to your Address and you can as well move down to any nearest ATM PAYING MACHINE and apply your pin code # : 7501 to make your withdrawals without any delay.if you will be finding it difficult to make use of the card, one of the task force that will be assigned to you will assist you. I am waiting to hear from you and your advice .. forward your details
DIRECTOR SWIFT CARD PAYMENT CENTER
CONTACT NUMBER +229 686 743 40
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.