fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 18:11:16 +0530
Compliment of the day, sorry to intrude your privacy, i got your contact information from a reputable buisness/professional directory of your country which gives me assurance of your legibility as a person. I do have a proposal for you but i really don't know if you will be interested in my offer, but before i proceed further i can assure you that it's 100% risk free but required 100% confidentiality in good faith in other to avoid complications.
My proposal to you is that as the Executive Director and Head of Personal Banking, Nationwide Bank Of London, i am in charge in auditing and i have discovered that there are some of our client who don't have next of kin and most especially there is this one client who is late and ever since he dead no one has come to file in claims against his funds and his account has been domant for over 13 years now.
So am sending you this brief letter to solicit your partnership to assist in transferring the the sum of (12,900,000.00 Great British Pounds Sterling) from our bank here in London to your country. I shall furnish you with all the required documentation and details regarding this if you are willing to solicit with me so that we can get the funds transferred as soon as possible. I can only provide you with further informatiom when I get a positive respond from you and you really need to prove it to me that you can handle this without any complications.
So if you are interested just let me know because all i need from you is for you to act as the next of kin to our late customer. I will prepare all the legal documents in your name by the help of an attorney proving that you are the sole beneficiary of the funds and i will send you the documents to enable you contact my bank if you are ready. I am also proposing that after a successful execution of the business deal, the funds will be shared in the ratio 40/60.
If you are interested please ensure that you send your positive respond only to my private email id via: (firstname.lastname@example.org ). Waiting for your positive respond.
Email; email@example.com .