fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "transfer into your account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "LARRY & COUNSELORS AT LAW "
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 06:04:43 -0800
Subject: Re: CONTACT THE PAYING BANK!
(LARRY & COUNSELORS AT LAW)
22 BALOGUN MALL,TRADE FAIR
My dear Friend,
How are you doing ? I have been waiting for you since to come down here and pick up your $900,000.00usd Bank Draft but I did not heard from you since that time. Then I went and deposited your Draft with FIRST BANK NIG PLC here in LAGOS, because I traveled to Iraq to see my boss and will not come back till next month end or there about. I want You to contact the paying bank FIRST BANK NIG PLC to know when they will make the transfer of your fund on your bank draft to your account in your country.I have paid for the depositing and insurance fee. The only money you have to send to them is their opening account fee which is just $55.00 Us Dollars to open an account in your name at the FIRST BANK NIG PLC before they can transfer into your account in your country.So,don't be deceived by any body that is all you are to pay.
This istheir Contact Address
BRANK MANAGER OF FIRST BANK NIG PLC
AGBARA,EKUKU LAGOS NIG
Phone number;- +2348027748113
Also this is the Identification number 146219F33 on your deposited bank draft with the FIRST BANK NIG PLC.This is for easy identification of your bank draft when you contact the paying bank.Try to contact them as soon as possible with your account details where they are to make the bank transfer to you to avoid making the transfer to wrong person and also give them your details to avoid any mistake on your transfer. Let me know immediately you receive your transfer so that we can share the joy together after all we have been through in the past.