fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- "% commission" (Beware of any scheme that involves depositing checks or money orders or receiving wire transfers in your bank account and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere, for a percentage of 5-15% of the total. Such offers are *always* fraudulent and you will be liable for the entire amount when the checks, money orders or wire transfers turn out to be fraudulent. Any money already forwarded comes out of *your* pocket then. )
- "await your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- This email message is a company representative scam. This type of job offer scam involves the cashing of fake checks and money orders. It could expose you to losses of tens of thousands of dollars as well as to the risk of criminal prosecution and (in some cases) imprisonment.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Shenzhen Xinguang Electronic Co.Ltd," (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2015 14:10:15 +0100
Subject: Re: Part-Time Job for you
Would you like to work online from home and get paid weekly?
Newlighting Electronics Co., Ltd. needs a representative in the United States and United Kingdom and Europe. You can work online from home and get paid weekly. This Job proposal can be taken as a part time job as it has no negative effect to your present job status.
Shenzhen XINGUANG Electronic Co., LTD. is a holding company of China Electronics Corporation (CEC), which is the biggest group company in the electronic industry in China. It is a professional manufacturer to produce all types of electronic ballasts which are applied for horticultural lighting, commercial lighting, street lighting and building lighting. We have our clients we supply weekly all over United Kingdom, United states and Canada.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO FOR US: The international money transfer tax for legal entities (companies) in China is 25%, whereas for the individual it is only 7%. It yields the company lesser profit if we are to work that way, while tax for international money transfer made by a private individual is 7% .Hence your assistance!
We need agents to receive payment for our products in bank wire transfer
1. Receive payment from Clients by wire transfer.
2. Cash Payments at your Bank.
3. Deduct 10% which will be your commission on each payment processed.
4. Forward the balance after deducting of 10% commission to offices which shall be provided by us as soon as the fund becomes available.
HOW MUCH WILL YOU EARN:
10% from each operation!. At the beginning your commission will equal 10%, though later it will increase up to 12%!
ADVANTAGES: You do not have to go out; you will work as an independent contractor right from your home or office. Your job is absolutely legal. You do not need any capital to start. You can do the Work easily without leaving or affecting your present Job. The employees who make more efforts and work harder has strong possibility of becoming managers. Anyway our employees never leave us due to our excellent work condition.
This job is very challenging and you should understand it. We are looking only for the Honest and Open-Hearted Individual who satisfies our requirements and glad to offer this job position to you. You can view our website for more details
If our proposal interest you, Do get back to us with your detailed information as listed below.
I AWAIT YOUR URGENT RESPONSE.
Mr. Zhang Wang
Shenzhen XINGUANG Electronic Co., LTD,
Hua Cheng Building,No.8 Shang Di 4th street,
Hai Dian district,