fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "fund beneficiary" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Mr.Hannatu Raji
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 11:20:08 +0100
Subject: RE: YOUR FUND CONSIGNMENT BOX
Independent Corrupt Practices Commission.
Plot 802 Constitution Avenue ,
Central District, .
My Website: www.icac.org.hk/newsl/issue17eng/button2.htm
Dear Fund Beneficiary,
Please open or clink on My Website to read whole truth about me and your fund www.icac.org.hk/newsl/issue17eng/button2.htm
You really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you and telling you that your fund is with them, it is not in anyway with them, they are only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until you have nothing.
I known that you will receive this massage as surprise, but this is to clearly inform you that the courier service man by name MR. BRIAN MOLEFE which we send to deliver your cash inheritance fund $30million loaded in a trunk box has successfully arrived your country and he is at the Los Angeles International Airport,California United States, he need your attention to direct him to the nearest airport to your door step. for more details about me clink or copy My Website: www.icac.org.hk/newsl/issue17eng/button2.htm
He is not aware of the contents of the your cosignment box, because the first time this commission that we tried sending with the consignment box to you, the diplomat made away with the consignment box due to the fact that he knew the contents of the consignment, but was later apprehended in Ontario, Canada. with the helped of FBI.
therefore you are advise to contact him right now to enable him leave the airport as fast as he can to avoid the box not to be tampered knowing that the papers covering the box is said to be carrying hospital equipment's as he was equally told too.
CONTACT HIM WITH HIS DETAILS BELOW AND SEND HIM SMS ALSO
Name: MR.BRIAN MOLEFE
Contact Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Number # +1(213) 394-3793
PLEASE KINDLY NOTE THE BELOW IMPORTANT REGISTRATION DETAILS OF YOUR CONSIGNMENT BOX . . . . . . . . . . . .
1. THE REGISTRATION NO. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . GIL/GH/XXX61/0X
2. THE BATCH NUMBER OF THE BOX. . . . . . . . . . GIL/GH/XXX54/0X
3. SECURITY CODE NUMBER. . . . . . . . . . . . . .SFSS/GH942054/02
4. SERIAL NO. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .0043687/EB.
YOU ARE FREE TO VISIT MY WEBSITE.
NB : Call me on +2348158943289 as you receive this message for further directives.