fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "federal high court" (This court is often mentioned in '419' scams to give the victim a reason why he/she should send thousands of dollars to the scammers. A 'Federal High Court' exists in Germany and Nigeria, but not in other countries, such as the UK, Spain, Netherlands, Senegal, Benin, South Africa or other countries where fake lawyers in scams often claim to be based. )
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Rev. Dr. DOUGLAS MORRISON" <MORRISON.@alpha.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: "Rev. Dr. DOUGLAS MORRISON" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 11:36:50 +0900 (JST)
Subject: CODE NO OVX950.
I want to acknowledge you that we have finally succeeded in getting your
Consignment Box worth$B!G(Bs of $7.5USD out of (UN)United Nations department with the
help of Mr. James George Attorney General of Federal High Court of Justice
so you are advised to reconfirm your full delivery information to the
DIPLOMATIC Agent Deep Sam right now as he is currently at J.F.K
International Airport new York USA, you have to Email him with your
Information, because he have be successful arrival with your Consignment
Box and also has already called me with his number on his arrival 4hours
ago So contact him to deliver your Consignment Box first thing tomorrow
morning possibly today Make sure the bellow stated codes are identified
when contacting him and also ask him to give you his mobile phone number
so that to be having easy conversation with him and to enable you give him
your full direction to get your Consignment Box delivered to you and hand
you over your Consignment Box safe and sound, Furthermore u are advice to
be very fast as the Agent Deep Sam has no time to waste due to his
flight ticket. so contact him now with the needed Information now From my
office and tT56he director of the Company Rev. Dr. DOUGLAS MORRISON
SHIPMENT CODE GJK72DWQ
PACKAGE REGISTERED CODE NO OVX950.
SECURITY CODE EYTU/3055WEZ/263/
TRANSACTION CODE 7126/JLFS/7138/17305/
CERTIFICATE DEPOSIT CODE MCBS/PQLE/2-6/41
Mobile Phone Number========
Nearest Airport ===========
Current Home Address========
He is waiting to hear from you today with the information, NOTE: The
Diplomatic agent Deep Sam does not know that the content of the
consignment box is $7.5Million and on no circumstances should you let him
know the content. The consignments were moved from here as India Cloths,
so never allow him to open the box on OK.
his name is DIPLOMATIC Agent Deep Sam
Email Address (firstname.lastname@example.org)(email@example.com)
send him only text okay (+917) 636-1538)
Rev. Dr. DOUGLAS MORRISON
CALL ME AFTER GOING THROUGH THE EMAIL +229-6801-7715