fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 10:26:42 +0530
Subject: Dear Beneficiary
ICPC NIGERIA (Anti-Fraud Unit)
Head Office: Plot 802, Constitution Avenue
Zone A9 Central Area Garki Abuja.
P. M.B 535,
TEL : +234 8036565253
LETTER OF COMPENSATION/SETTLEMENT
We hereby inform you that out of our records for the year investigation it is drawn to us that you have been victimized by the men of underworld(419ers/impostors).
However, the management has been dutifully empowered by the Investigation bureau office of the President and Commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces of Federal Republic of Nigeria to curb all illicit transaction and workload of this perpetrator.
In line with the Anti-corruption crusade of the President Muhammadu Buhari (GCFR)you are by this email notification to stop any contact regarding to your illegal transaction with this international fraudsters called in Nigeria 419ers. Out of our findings there is no any inheritance, Contract and Lottery payment in your favor or name in Nigeria and the image of this country has been dented internationally during the past administration of the Federal Government of Nigeria.
Presently, we have employed a strategy to remit sanity and vow to terminate the activity of this fraudsters by consolidating our security Network all over the country in view to monitor all outgoing and incoming communication to enable us fish out and avert all illegal and suspicious transaction both domestically and internationally respectively. Moreover, it occurs that some of our Financial Institutions (Bank) serve as a Condit pipe by which this fraudsters use to perpetrate the undo crime.
We have signal all these financial institutions to implement scrutinized investigation before carrying any transaction any bank found culpable of breaching the law must have their operational license revoke.
In accordance with the criminal and other related offense act 25 of 1999 constitution we have been officially compel by Senator. A. Aminu(JP), Chairman Senate committee on Foreign Affair to mapped out billions of Dollars from the Annual Budget to compensate all defrauded victims as part of the ongoing National Reform Scheme of the president, By the strength of this development the sum of US$5.Million United States Dollars (USD$5,000,000.00) has been SIGNED to each beneficiaries as compensation, so you will be receiving the above mentioned compensation fund.
Be inform from this day that if we find out through security agency that you are still in email and telephone communication with this criminals your compensation payment will discard and terminated and you will report to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for questioning your transaction. Kindly send your address where we shall send the original documents of your compensation by courier to you as it has approved.
1. Your Full Name:Laura A Ashley
2. Your Residential Address:129 Sycamore Drive Richmond KY 40475
3. Telephone Number (cell )do not have one
For more details on receipt of this mail contact this office. Await for your reply
Thanks for your anticipated cooperation in this regards.
Hon. Justice E. Ayoola
Chairman ICPC Nigeria.