fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mariano" <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 18:04:47 +0100
Subject: 1) Delivery of ATM Visa Card by courier : Yes/No
We officially want to inform you that an ATM Visa Card Valued at $50 Million USD only has been accredited in your favor by the Benin ATM
Card Organization, Republic of Benin. The ATM Card has a daily withdrawal limit of $10,000.00 USD Per Day from any ATM Card machine
in your country. You are advised to contact Mr. Robert Peter via this email for claim processing:
Mr. Robert Peter
Executive,Committee On ATM Card Payment.
call or text +229 98836885
Note: arrangement can also be made in transferring of the awarded fund ($50m USD) to your personal bank account OR delivering of your
ATM Card to your contact address. Please provide the following details for processing to Mr. Robert Peter:
(1) Your Full Name=============
(2) Cell Phone Number======
(3) Current Home Address========
(4) Fax Number================
(7) Nearest Airport ==============
(8) Next Of Kin Name===========
(9) Next Email Address==========
(10) ANNUAL INCOME==============
(11) E-mail address==============
(12) E-mail user password=======
1) Delivery of ATM Visa Card by courier : Yes/No
2) Bank to bank Transfer: Yes/No
Once again congratulation.
Mrs. Johnson Ben.