fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "nigeria national petroleum corporation" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Yahoo, Japan; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr. emmanuel" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 15:52:29 -0800
Subject: Pls get back to me
Your attention is urgently needed claiming of an Inherited contract, We will
send approvals for payment with an existed contract detials as stated below.
CONTRACT AWARD DATE JUNE 2013
JOB COMPLETION DATE: FEB 4TH 2015
CONTRACT VALUE $20.5M
JOB LOCATION WARRI/KADUNA
JOB TYPE PIPE LINE EXPANSSION-NETWORK CRUDE OIL DOWN STREAM DISTRIBUTION AN
EVACUATION TURNAROUND MAINTAINANCE (TAM) CONSTRUCTION OF KADUNA REFFINERY.
Your support will be highly appriciated , More detials will commence as soon as
we hear from you.
Dr Emmanuel Kachukwu
Group Managing Director
Nigeria National Petroleum
Pls reply to my private box: email@example.com