fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- find below? name: pastor steve campbell email: firstname.lastname@example.org please contact him immediately and arrange with him to sent (Mail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Pastor. Steve Campbell" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 03:01:01 +0200
Subject: I Wish To Compensate You For Your Help .....
WINNER'S CHAPEL INTERNATIONAL,
1 CHURCH HILL CLOSE,
Dear Friend ,
Please accept my apology for not contacting you earlier before now due to my tight schedules I have been very busy all this while in Japan, meanwhile I did not forgot your past effort and attempts to assist me last time I contacted you through email for transaction regarding transfer of funds to your custody which you dis-continued to concluded with me reasons personally known to you.
Now I'm happy to inform you that i have succeeded in getting those funds transferred under the cooperation of a new partner from Japan Mr Narita Kawazaki from Tokyo who later helped me received the fund total of $10 million dollars in his Bank account. However I felt very happy to compensate you from part of the total amount with the sum of $250,000 United States Dollars for your initial effort you made at the earlier stage I contacted you for the transaction although you withdraw from the transaction may be due to lack of trust or you felt that it was scam at that time while it was not.
However before I traveled to Japan ,I handed over to my church Pastor to take in charge of releasing the compensation fund to you as soon as you get in contact with him . Please without delay contact my pastor where I worship (winners chapel international) for the collection of the total amount offered to you his contact details find below?
Name: Pastor steve campbell
Please contact him immediately and Arrange with him to sent you the total amount $250,000 which I have instructed him to release to you and the fund has been prepared payment option ATM VISA CARD, the total amount has been loaded in ATM visa CARD and the card is with my pastor right away .
Please you can make withdrawal from any ATM machines world wide and the total amount you can withdraw is $5000 in a day.
Infact I appreciated your past efforts at that time very much that made me to compensate you therefor accept it from your mind I am happy to offer you the fund okay.
Please send the below information to my Pastor to enable him get back to you immediately and send your ATM CARD to you.
1,Your Full Name..........
My Regards to you and your entire Family, please once you receive your
compensation fund try to keep me posted via email
firstname.lastname@example.org, so that we cheers together okay.
>From : Don Etielbeth ( former minister of petroluem )
Presently In Japan