fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: MR.ALEX DOZIE <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 03:36:50 -0500
Subject: Re:I will be waiting urgently for your reply
Compliments of the day. I decided to contact you after I received a worthy=
information about your reliability and honesty. Hence I confide in you and=
This is good news to you and me, it is a testimony to me that last three m=
onths i have a transaction with about seven different persons,four of them =
were from united state of America, and three of the were from England, all =
of them try very well but it failed us some how, after then i later contact=
a new partner from Paraguay and get those funds worth five million five hu=
ndred thousand USD($5.5mUSD) transferred,so now i have lost the contact of =
those people and i have make agreement and swore with God that after this b=
usiness i must compensate any body i wish to, since i have lost those peopl=
e contact,so feel free and get in touch with my secretary and instruct him =
where to send the amount to you.
I'm happy to inform you about my success in getting those funds transferred=
under the cooperation of a new partner from Paraguay. Presently I'm in Par=
aguay for investment projects with my own share of the total sum.
Now contact my secretary,his name is MR Kayade Bola on ( mrkayade.bola@gmai=
l.com ) ask him to send you the total $1,500.000.00 international bank draf=
t written by your name which i agree and swore with my God that i will kept=
for your compensation for all the past efforts and attempts those people t=
ry to assist me in this matter. I appreciated their efforts at that time ve=
ry much. so feel free and get in touch with my secretary and instruct him w=
here to send the amount to you.
Please do let me know immediately you receive it so that we can share the j=
oy after all the difficulty at that time. In the moment, i am very busy her=
e because of the investment projects which me and the new partner are havin=
g at hand, finally, remember that I had forwarded instruction to the secret=
ary on your behalf to receive that money, so feel free to get in touch with=
MR Kayade Bola, he will send the amount to you without any delay.Do not fo=
rget to use some money inside to give thanks giving to ALMIGHTY GOD IN ANY =
OF YOUR RELIGION.my secretary email address ( email@example.com )
with best regards,
Mr ALEX DOZIE=20