fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Bonax Fem- Es Textilipari Kft" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 18:06:21 +0100
Subject: ''PROCESSING MANAGER NEEDED URGENTLY'VOS
My name is Mr Gerald HoppeI am the H.R of Bonax Fem- Es Textilipari Kft.
FABRICS COMPANY IN HUNGARY. Presently, my company is looking for a
trustworthy bookkeeper, representative. An excellent opportunity to work at home part time and still keep your
full time job.Bonax Fem- Es Textilipari Kft is a company that produces
and sells Chinese and African textile and fabric materials in London/Canada/USA and Puerto Rico.
Our company produces various clothing materials, batiks, assorted fabrics and
traditional costumes. We have clients we supply weekly in the states.
My clients make payments for our supplies every week by check which are
not cash-able in Hungary; so we need a representative to assist us in processing the payments. This will enable
our cash to flow more quickly and therefore would not tie down our capital. I would
be willing to employ you on contract basis to be my payment representative back in Your Country.
Your salary will be 4,000 USD monthly.
IF YOU AT ALL INTERESTED IN THIS PROPOSAL FOR EMPLOYMENT PLEASE
COMPLETE THIS APPLICATION AND LETTER OF EMPLOYMENT. I NEED TO FILL
THIS POSITION AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU SOON.
BONAX FEM-ES TEXTILES AND FABRICS LTD APPLICATION FORM
Have you done this before(yes) or (no)
If yes (what was the out come)
*Please make sure you telephone # is correct -- I will need to call you when everything is in place.
*If you are interested please e mail the application form to my personal
Please Email your application to this
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Company Human Resource Manager.