fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "claims agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "hundred thousand great british pounds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447014234742 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: chevrolet.company <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 21:49:13 +0530
Subject: CHEVROLET WINNER 2016
Chevrolet Car Production Company Ltd.
PROGRAMS & EVENTS DEPARTMENT
Griffin House, UK1-101-135, Osborne Road,
Luton, Bedfordshire LU1 3YT.
Register company number: 4533384
Web Site: www.chevrolet.co.uk
Ref: CHT 2016/0513-**0u.
The entire staff and the board of directors of The Chevrolet Production Company United Kingdom are glad to inform you that your e-mail id was selected as one of our star winners and guarantee you the sum of Five Hundred Thousand Great British Pounds Sterlingâs from the CHEVROLET ATUMOBILE COMPANY UNITED KINGDOM on our 2016 Opening charity bonanza. You are lucky for being selected for the stated winning amount and one CHEVROLET CRUSE CAR 2015/2016 MODEL held on this 2015/2016 awards.
The Chevrolet National Lottery Fund gives grants to sustain and transform individual lives all over the globe for the less privilege once; we are here to use our diverse Heritage to change lives in every part of the world. You are therefore to fill in the form below and send it back to us to facilitate your Awards winning prize. You need to provide your information for claim within 15 working days of receiving this mail otherwise your awards winning will be canceled.
However, no ticket were sold but all email addresses where assigned to different ticket numbers for representation and privacy. The selection process was carried out through random selection in our computerized email selection machine (TOPAZ) from a database of over 25,000,000 email addresses drawn from all the continents of the world.
You are advised to complete the form and send it immediately to our Promotion manager through email id below for prompt collection of your fund from the designated.
MAKE SURE YOU SEND YOUR INFORMATION TO THIS EMAIL:- email@example.com
(1): Your Name: (2): Full Address:
(3): Your Mobile Number: (4): Your Gender: (5): Your Nationality: (6): Your Age:
(7): Your Country of Residence: (8): Your Occupation:
(9): Your Won E-mail Address:
(10): Your Ref No:
(11): Your Batch No:
YOUR BANK dETAILS:-
Your Bank Name:
Your Account Holderâs Name:
Your Account No:
Your IFSC Code:
Your Bank Branch:
A Scan copy of your voterâs card proof or Any of Your Valid I.D Proof is needed.
I Mr. / Mrs. ____________ HEREBY DECLARE THAT THE ABOVE DATA ARE TRUE THAT MY CLAIMS AGENT SHALL ACT AS A FACILITATOR IN THE TRANSFER OF THE TOTAL FUND TO ME WITHOUT DOUBT.
Contact Person: Donath Odil (Dr).
Grants Coordinator Of Chevrolet Production Company.
Copyright Â© 2014 Chevrolet Co. UK Ltd. All rights reserved.