fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Outblaze.com, Hong Kong; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- compensation award agent name: agent ryan jacob email: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org cell: +234-8084222956 you really have to (Usa; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Patricia Henderson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 14:50:30 +0100
Subject: FBI COMPENSATION AWARD AGENT
I am Patricia Henderson; US citizen,61 years Old. I reside here in Florida. My residential address is as follows.5629 Muse Ct. Zephyrhills, Florida 33542, United States of America, am thinking of relocating since I am now Rich And comfortable with my Family. I am one of those that took part in the Compensation in Africa many years ago and they refused to pay me, I had paid over USD$94,000.00 for the past years while in the US, trying to get my Payment all to no avail. And they always stopped my funds with one reason or the order.
However, I decided to travel with my Son to WASHINGTON D.C with all my Compensation documents, And I was directed by the ( FBI) Director JAMES BRIEN COMEY, to Contact AGENT RYAN JACOB, who is a representative of the (FBI) and a Member of the COMPENSATION AWARD COMMITTEE, presently in Nigeria.
However, I contacted him and he explained everything to me. He said whoever is contacting us through emails are fake, He took me to the paying bank for the claim of my Compensation payment this was paid to me successfully. Right now I am the happiest woman on earth because I have finally received my compensation funds of(USD$2.5Million) Hence, AGENT RYAN JACOB, showed me the full Information of Those that are yet to receive their compensation funds and I saw your name as one of the scam victims and one of the USD$2.5Million Beneficiaries that is why I decided to email you to know if you have Received yours, and to advise you to stop dealing with those people, they are not with your funds, they are only making money out of you. I will advise you to contact AGENT RYAN JACOB, You have to contact him Directly on this information below to know if he can help you too.
FBI COMPENSATION AWARD AGENT
Name: AGENT RYAN JACOB
You really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you And telling you that your fund is with them, it is not in anyway with Them, they are only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until You have nothing left.
The only Money I paid after I met AGENT RYAN JACOB was just USD$590 for the Ownership Paper Works, Take note of that because that was only money I Paid.
Once again stop contacting those people, I will advise you to contact RYAN JACOB so that he can help you to deliver your fund instead of dealing with those liars that will be turning you around asking for different kind of money to complete your transaction.
Thank You and Be Blessed.
5629 Muse Ct. Zephyrhills, Florida 33542