fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: Aakifah Omar <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: Aakifah Omar <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 10:29:29 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Please help me
From: Miss Aakifah Omar
God bless you for your kind attention. My name is Miss Aakifah Omar from the Republic of Cote d'Ivoire. I am 21 years old and the only daughter and child of late Mr. Toure Omar. My father was the Operational manager of Tullow Oil Company in Cote d'Ivoire for fifteen years before he died after of small cell lung cancer that lasted for only two months. My mother died when i was a baby and since then, my father took me so special before death took him away. Before the death of my father in a special hospital here in our country, he secretly told me that he made a fixed deposit of $6.200,000.00 USD (Six Million Two Hundred Thousand Dollars) with a Bank
here in our country and he used my name as the next of kin when he deposited the money in the bank. He further advise me to seek for a foreign foreign who will
assist me invest the fund overseas where i will spend the rest of my life.
I want you to help me in the following ways;
1. I want you to stand as my guardian/partner to receive the fund in your bank account for an investments in your country.
2. I want you to make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my education and spend the rest of my life.
3. As soon as the bank transfer the money to your bank account or any new bank account which you will provide to the bank, I will want you to take 20% of the money as your compensation for all your assistance and assist me to invest the remaining 80% into a good business investments in your country.
4. You will assist me manage the investments according to your experience and we will share any profits from the investments 50-50.
On your full acceptance to work with me regarding this purposes, I shall proceed to the bank where
my late father deposited this money and inform the director of the bank about you as my guardian/partner who will receive the money on my behalf for the purpose of investments in your country. I shall also give you the contact details of the bank so that you will request for the release and transfer of the money to your bank account for investment purpose in your country to enable me join you to continue my education.
Thank you for your prompt attention. My best regards to you and all your family. In my next message, i will attach my photos and International passport for you to know me more.
I hope to receive your prompt and favorably response soon.
Miss Aakifah Omar