fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Abdul Qadeer Fitrat" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 20:44:02 +0100
Subject: Have you receieve your check
Hello my My Friend,
Hope that you are fine,well i just want to inform you that i was able to get a friend from Kuwait who has assisted me in getting the funds across
to him for the investment projects and i must say thanks for your attempt to help me in this process and besides i did not forget your interest to
assist me,though it failed because you felt that i was trying to scam you,but God knows that i was trying to be a friend and a brother and at the
same time make our both families great with the funds.
Well,i have sat and decides that i will compensate you with $4000,000.00,which i gave to a friend of mine infact i told him that you will contact
him and make sure that he release the grant to you,his name is Darrel D.Gray,i cannot dispatch the check to you because i am under security
conscious like you know previously,my friend Darrel was not on sit when i gave his secretary the check sealed in a brown envelope,i couldn't gave
him the shipment cost of $39,so kindly send him this cost and reconfirm your details address of delivery,including your contact mobile number to
Darrel email address.
Finally,here is my friend email address,if he has not contacted you,get in touch with him and take that little token from me,Though do not wait to
hear from him before contacting him as he is a very busy person.
May God bless you,
My friend email. is ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Waiting for your reply,