fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "fiduciary agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (AOL Instant Messenger; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Creditors Financial Loan Service <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Creditors Financial Loan Service <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 18:24:36 +0300 (EAT)
Subject: Dear Esteemed Customer,
Dear Esteemed Customer,
Creditors Financial Loan Service FRANCE specializes in arranging loan of any amounts,longer repayment terms. We offer Business loan, Home loan, Personal loan, Car loan, Student loan, Dept. Consolidation, Loan for Business start. Do you have a small or big project to finance? up and Business Expansion, Real Estate and Mortgages all at 2.5% interest rate for applicants of all credit types.
Creditors Financial Loan Service offer one of the lowest loan rates and the company service is quick and stress free. Our Priority is your total Satisfaction! Our goal is that you enjoy the service we provide from start to conclusion. Interested new customer should click on reply to contact Creditors Financial Loan Service France Administrative Director more information.
Name: Mr. Manfred Bonnet.
Phone/SmS: +33-605 734 438
Fax: + 33 160 54177 42
Address: 88 Boulevard De Hopital 75013 Paris France
Creditors Financial Loan Service Fiduciary Agent.