fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "transfer of your funds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic immunity" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Brian Moynihan" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 12:56:37 +0100
Subject: Bank of America Corporate Office Headquarters
Bank of America Corporate Office Headquarters
345 Park Ave, New York, NY 10154 United States of America
Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time(EDT)
Saturday and Sunday 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time(EDT)
Bank Telephone No#: 559 560 9301
Dear Esteemed Customer,
The Management of the Bank of America Corporate Office Headquarters here in 345 Park Ave, New York, NY 10154 United States of America wishes to inform you that after a brief meeting held by the Bank Executives yesterday, we deem it appropriate to intimate you that your funds will be transferred into the United States Treasury Account with the JP Morgan Chase Headquarters at 270 Park Avenue in New York according to the record we got from the Federal Reserve Bank in Washington DC United States Treasury Account due to your inability to complete the transaction and your failure to meet up with a minor payment obligation. The actual transfer of your funds ($32,700,000.00) into the government account comes up next week.
This is in line with the instructions of the USA Treasurer, Mrs. Rosa Gumataotao Rios that all unclaimed funds be paid into the United States Government Treasury Account as in serviceable funds in compliance to section 3 subsection 1(a) of the United States Financial Law enacted in 2001 after an attack on our dear country on September 11, 2001.
Find below the profile of the banking institution where your funds will be transferred into following the Government directive: And note to responds to us with below Email email@example.com
Name of Bank: JP Morgan Chase Headquarters at 270 Park Avenue in New York JP Morgan Chase Official Bankers for the United States Treasury Department AC No#: 68302345093 Routing NO:021109593 Account Name: United States Treasury Department USA.
Note that if you still wish to receive your funds do get back to us immediately so that we will remove your funds transfer from the list of those transactions to be seized by the United States Government. Also be informed that we need only a DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY SEAL OF TRANSFER (DIST) to complete the wire transfer.
We have waited for so long and we cannot continue to wait.
Please re-confirm your Personal Information's here below.
1) Your Full Names:...............
2) Your Home Address:.............
3) Your Tel / Cell No#:...........
4) Your Occupation:...............
5) Your Age:......................
Please reply to this Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is our Bank Telephone No#: 559 560 9301.
Mr. Brian Moynihan (CEO)
Bank of America®
Corporate Office Headquarters, New York.
Bank of America, N.A. Member FDIC.
© 2015 Bank of America Corporation. All rights reserved.
Bank Telephone No#: 559 560 9301