fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "Mr.Roland Perret" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 11:48:08 -0700
Subject: SUBJECT: Claim your abandoned package

Interim Assistance General Manager,
(Operations, Maintenance, Transportation)
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
900 Airline Dr, Kenner,
LA 70062, Louisiana USA

Your Abandoned Package For Delivery

I am Mr.Roland Perret, head of storage facilities (Operations, Maintenance, Transportation) at the Louis Armstrong New Orleans, Louisiana USA. During a recent routine check of the Airport Storage Vault, your shipment which was abandoned by the supposed Diplomat that flew in with it, was uncovered. Upon more investigation, it came to my notice that the consignment was abandoned because the Content of the package was not properly declared as "MONEY".Instead, it was declared as personal effects, which i suppose was to avoid interrogation. At the time the diplomat was accosted by customs, he was unable to remit the non inspection fee of $3700.00. If he had done that, he would have avoided all of this complication. A scan performed by customs revealed an undisclosed sum of money in the Trunk Box. The details of the recipient and its destination which includes your name, your email address and the official documents from the United Nations office in Geneva, were filed into the records from the airport he departed from. This occurence took place two years ago and i am utterly surprised that it is still in holding.

I am bringing this to your notice because the officials at the apex of customs command here at the airport, plot on dividing the money amongst themselves. They intend on doing this by filing for the package to be transported to the United States Treausry Department as unclaimed delivery, due to the delay in concluding the clearance process. Before it gets there, they would repackage the consignment and leave a measely sum in it. The Treasury Department will accept whatever they account for, unaware of the foul play being performed by government officials.

My proposition is this, I will conclude the Clearance process which requires that i clear the non inspection fee of $3700.00. As i write you, i applied for a loan of $5000, originally for a personal business venture but i figured this deal would be entirely worth it for us both, should you choose to accept. So i am willing to commit it towards reclaiming your abandoned package. All this, for a 30% share of the entire contents of the package, with you receiving the remaining 70%. From my estimation, there should be nothing less than 4 million dollars contained in there and this is not me exaggerating.

If you are in agreement, i would need you to provide me with the following information so we can update the delivery information with your new information just in case there has been a change of name or address. The information required are as follows:

Full Name:
Phone Number:
Nearest Airport:

Once I confirm you as the actual recipient of the trunk box, I can get everything concluded within 48 hours upon your acceptance and proceed to your address for delivery.

I wait to hear from you urgently if you are still alive and I will appreciate if we can keep this deal confidential. Please get back to me via my private Email:( for further directives.

Roland Perret

Anti-fraud resources: