fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "mrs Isabella" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 22:17:36 +0200
Subject: CAN I TRUST YOU ??? EX
My name is Isabelle Akehurst From France Nantes, Presently, I'm in hospital in London. at Weston Park Hospital London. I'm diagnosed with esophageal cancer, because it went unnoticed I have had to undergo a laryngeal. I am about to end the race like this without a child and in contrast to how family members & friends has completed treated me during horrible moment in my life?
I decided reaching out to a total stranger in your person. I decided to WILL/donate the sum of ($3.2 Million) Three Million, Two Hundred Thousand United States Dollars to you for the good work of the lord. I want this last act of mine to be an offering to GOD and humanity.
Kindly contact me asap via my email for more information....
( email@example.com )
Mrs Isabelle Akehurst