fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- united = states, tel: +1 973 287 3949 email: email@example.com re: your a= bandoned package for delivery i have very (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Peter Andrew <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 13:46:00 +0300
Subject: Re: Your Abandoned Package For Delivery
Interim Assistance General Manager, (Operations,Maintenance,Transportation)=
Bishop International Airport G-3425 W Bristol Rd, Flint, MI 48507, United =
States, Tel: +1 973 287 3949 Email: email@example.com Re: Your A=
bandoned Package For Delivery I have very vital information to give to you,=
but first I must have your trust before I review it to you because it may =
cause me my job,so I need somebody that I can trust for me to be able to re=
view the secret to you. I am Mr. Peter Andrew, head of luggage/baggage stor=
age facilities (Operations,Maintenance,Transportation) here at the Bishop I=
nternational Airport USA. During my recent withheld package routine check a=
t the Airport Storage Vault, I discovered an abandoned shipment from a Dipl=
omat from Africa and when scanned it revealed an undisclosed sum of money i=
n a Metal Trunk Box weighing approximately 110kg. The consignment was aband=
oned because the Contents of the consignment was not properly declared by t=
he consignee as =93MONEY=94 rather it was declared as personal effect to av=
oid interrogation and also the inability of the diplomat to pay for the Uni=
ted States Non Inspection Charges which is $3,700USD. On my assumption the =
consignment is still left in our Storage House here at the Bishop Internati=
onal Airport Bristol till date. The details of the consignment including yo=
ur name, your email address and the official documents from the United Nati=
ons office in Geneva are tagged on the Trunk box. However, to enable me con=
firm if you are the actual recipient of this consignment as the assistant d=
irector of the Inspection Unit, I will advise you provide your current Phon=
e Number and Full Address, to enable me cross check if it corresponds with =
the address on the official documents including the name of nearest Airport=
around your city. Please note that this consignment is supposed to have be=
en returned to the United States Treasury Department as unclaimed delivery =
due to the delays in concluding the clearance processes so as a result of t=
his, I will not be able to receive your details on my official email accoun=
t. So in order words to enable me cross check your details, I will advise y=
ou send the required details to my private email address for quick processi=
ng and response. Once I confirm you as the actual recipient of the trunk bo=
x, I can get everything concluded within 48hours upon your acceptance and p=
roceed to your address for delivery. Lastly, be informed that the reason I =
have taken it upon myself to contact you personally about this abandoned co=
nsignment is because I want us to transact this business and share the mone=
y 70% for you and 30% for me since the consignment has not yet been returne=
d to the United States Treasury Department after being abandoned by the dip=
lomat so immediately the confirmation is made, I will go ahead and pay for =
the United States Non Inspection Fee of $3,700 dollars and arrange for the =
box to be delivered to your doorstep Or I can bring it by myself to avoid a=
ny more trouble but you have to assure me of my 30% share. I wait to hear f=
rom you urgently if you are still alive and I will appreciate if we can kee=
p this deal confidential. Please get back to me via my private Email ( pete=
firstname.lastname@example.org )for further directives: You can call me on my tel=
ephone number and drop a message at +1 973 287 3949 Best Regards Peter Andr=