fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "PASTOR EVANS LAWSON" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 13:45:41 -0700
Subject: Calvary Greetings My Beloved One, Reply Urgently For Details
Calvary greeting in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Peace and love be with you; in the marvelous name of our lord Jesus. Hope my humble letter reaches you; may it fine you the best of good health and our Lord blessing,i understand that you may not be a Christian by Religion but i know that you will have a good heart to help the poor with this fund.
I am Pastor Evans Lawson and i got your contact on my personal search of the person i want to will my money to. Please i willed the sum of [GBP20,000,000.00] of Twenty million Great British Pounds to you, that is the only money left in my account right now.
Please if you really want to know why i have willed this money to you and you want this money to be transferred to you please contact the bank manager whose name and address i will give you as soon as you reply this mail.
He will help you transfer this money that i have willed to you. Right now i am in the hospital emailing you with my laptop computer and i will tell you my story as soon as i hear from you.
I quite appreciate the fact that this few words of mine are going to meet you as a surprise because this is my first time writing to you.
We are excited and energized in pursuit of the mission God has given us, to reach and save souls for Christ and positively impact lives and families in our immediate community and around the world.
At Greater Achievers Family we recognize that Gods Word provides answers to the issues and challenges facing families, married couples, singles, youth and young adults. Under the power of the Holy Spirit, we provide relevant teaching and preaching so that people will live a life of meaning, fulfillment and destiny. Through our 5 different
ministries, there is a variety of opportunities for persons to make an impact on the lives of others.
I urgent need an attention from you now.
Please reply me back to this email stated here:
Thanks you for your understanding
Pastor Evans Lawson