fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- want you to contact my personal manager via email:email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org /call mrs maria micheal (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "MRS MARIA MICHEAL" <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 10:17:46 +0300
Subject: MRS MARIA MICHEAL IS WILLING THE SUM OF $100 MILLION DOLLARS TO YOU
Office Address:9170 Howard Street
Barberton, OHIO 44203 America Phone Number:+13204293136
My name is Mrs Maria Micheal , I am 56 years old. I have ovarian cancer
suffer here Suka Clinic and sad, the doctor says I only have a
short time to live. I'm USA, CITIZEN OF AMERICA and my parent are from
UNITED STATE OF AMERICA,i am taking treatment with the Amish doctors
they said they are the only once that have the cure presently,cancer
secret and defeat, and the doctor said that i only have a short time to
live but I
have live around the world in different countries for over eleven Years as
a business woman dealing with cotton export and other big business like
real estate investment world wide and all that: below is my
(Website:http://micheal.com/ websitehttp://www.property24.com.ng) due
to the fact that many raw materials are very expensive, but now, I am at
the end of the
race of life without a child and my floating plants are here in america. I
have $100 million Dollars with BANK OF AMERICA and a COMPANY worth
over $50 million dollars,I want you to contact my personal Manager via
Email:firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com /call
Mrs Maria Micheal with this number:+13204293136,i can barely received
calls because of my illness.
My bank can transfer the money to you true your bank account or load the
$100 million Dollars into your bank account or a VISA CARD/ATM CARD or
with a CASHIER CHECK OF $100 MILLION DOLLARS my dying wish is that you use
10% of the money to help the less privileged people in your country,
but you must assure me that you only take 90% of the total money as your
own part of the money and pass the remaining 10%
to Charity Organization and Orphanage homes in your country,so that i will
have rest of mind in
heaven were god will place me after death,this is my dying wish.Contact Me
or My Manager with this Email
Address:mail:firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
As soon as you get back to
us,i shall contact BANK OF AMERICA for the TRANSFER OF THE $100 MILLION
DOLLARS INTO YOUR ACCOUNT OR LOAD IT INTO AN ATM CARD FOR
YOU,i will instruct my family, upon receipt of your e-mail on indicating
that you are ready and able to be my next of kin and obey my dying wish.
GOD IS A SPIRIT: AND THEY THAT WORSHIP HIM MUST WORSHIP HIM
IN SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH
Below are the required information needed as stated.
Your identity card:.................
BANK REQUIREMENT INSTRUCTION
Choose among the following method you want use to transfer the $100
million Dollars to you
(1)Our bank can load the 100 million Dollars into a VISA CARD/ATM CARD and
a copy of the certificate of occupancy and the certificate of change of
ownership and parcel it and send to you through DHL OR UPS COURIER
DELIVERY COMPANY.(2)Our bank can transfer the $100 million dollars into
your bank account,online banking wire
transfer,so you are advice to send down the below banking information,so
transferring bank can commence transfer on your $100 million Dollars
transfer for completion
of the transfer of this funds.
Wendie Webb barrister
I want a sincere performance from you as you,received this money from my
bank. Reply me with your email if you are capable and interested,In
our next email we shall furnish you with the rest of our data
information's like the
certificate of occupancy to my company and the bank paper work of the
$100 million Dollars that will be TRANSFER OUT INTO YOU BANK ACCOUNT.
May the peace of the lord be with you.
Your Beloved Sister Mrs Maria Micheal