fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "William Waddle" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 16:33:37 -0400
Subject: BUSINESS PROPOSAL
I am a retired Credit & Investment Director, and an independent Investment Consultant to Investors Group. Over the years our Investors Group have built client portfolios across a broad range of asset classes, including equities, fixed income, alternatives and multi-asset class solutions, to customize client solutions that meet their unique investment objectives.
We invest in fast-growing, market leading companies and will be funding on platforms of Equity Partnership, Outright Debt and Direct Loans. This typical equity investment opportunity ranges between EUR 20 million and EUR 600 million. And we focus on seed capital, early-stage, start-up ventures, existing LLC and total completion and expansion of investment projects with immediate funding.
Industry Sector Preferences:
· Alternative energy
· Financial Services
· Information Technology
· Consumer products
· Oil & Gas
· Real estate
We also provide Bank Instrument such as Fresh Cut BG, SBLC and MTN which are specifically for lease for (7+2%) and sale (40+2) from top rated AA Banks, our bank instrument can engage in PPP Trading, Discounting and signature project(s).
Send response to the below email: firstname.lastname@example.org