fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "will come to you as a surprise" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "there is no risk involved" (almost true for the criminal trying to scam you - arrests of online criminals are rare)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Davis Morrison <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 15:05:55 -0700
Subject: waiting to read your mail
*Hello and how are you doing?*
*Greeting to you and your family. I know that this letter will come to you
as a surprise, with the full hope that you will bear with me to assist me.
I am Davis Morrison from the Kotoka International Airport Accra Ghana. I
am mailing you in respect of a new development here at the airport in Accra
Ghana.The Airport Authority detected two trunk boxes after been scanned the
authorities detected that the boxes contains funds of huge amount of united
states dollars that belong to one Mr Thomas William from your Country, we
have contacted him for a long time now no response from him and any of his
family member yesterday some men came from Georgia USA to my office, name
David Lee and Peter Wilson for the claiming of the funds pretend to be the
family member of Mr, Thomas William which they were all fake people after
much investigations was made. I am writing to you for a good business which
I want you to assist me and received this fund. Please there is no risk
involved,may I assure you that this business is 100% legal, the total
amount of the funds is $20, millions united states dollars and both of us
will share 50/50 as soon as this funds get to you in you and I shall also
visit you for the sharing of the funds, please feel free there is no risk
involve at all. the delivery of the consignment boxes to your doorstep will
be within 48 hours please lets do this together for the future of our
family. I have been working with the airport authority for a very long time
now. I have noting reasonable to show to my family and beside am going to
retired next year please don't let this opportunity to pass us by let do
this together with one mind.*
* Kindly reply me soonest if you are willing to partake in this
transaction, The information below will be required of you to start with:*
*A: FULL NAMES*
*C: DIRECT CONTACT PHONE NUMBER*
*D: SCANNED COPY OF YOUR INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT OR ANY RELEVANT*
*please feel free to send me all this information because all the legal
documentation need to bear your name no risk involve at.*