fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Nadelia Allain <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 21:43:42 +0200
Subject: You are Chosen.
May God bless you my dear,
let me start by introducing myself, i am Mrs Nadelia Allain a France Citizen, I'm married to Ivorian late business man Mr. Michel Allain, I and my late husband was into, Estate management and also a government Estate building contractor before my husband death. He was murdered with the Interior Minister by the rebels during this recent political crisis here in Cote dâIvoire. My late husband also has a Cocoa farm which was totally burnt by the rebels after he was killed. We were married for eleven years without a child due to my fibroid problem.
Since over seven mouths now I have been diagnosed with esophageal cancer. Recently, my Doctor told me that I would not last for the next Four months due to cancer problem. From all indications, my condition is really deteriorating and is quite obvious that I may not live more than two months, because the cancer stage has gotten to a very dangerous stage. When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of 3.7 Million (USD) in the bank here in Ivory Coast, Presently this money is still in the bank. Having known my condition I have decided to donate this fund to good person that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct herein. I want you to use at least 85% of this fund to visit the orphanage homes, poor aged widows, help woman with cancer problems, poor sick ones at the hospital as I want this to be the last good thing I did on earth before my death, then take the remaining 15% to take good care of your good home because every worker deserves his wages.
I am not afraid of death hence I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Lord. My happiness is that I lived a good life. Assure me that you will act accordingly as I Stated herein. As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the Bank and I will also issue a letter of authorization to the bank that will prove you the beneficiary of this money. I also want you to always pray for me.
Waiting to hear from you.
Mrs Nadelia Allain