fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 13:25:07 +0200
Subject: Ref> Urgent please

Dear Stobo
This letter is not intended to cause any embarrassment in whatever form rather it is intended to contact your esteemed self, following the knowledge of your high repute and trustworthiness. Firstly. I must solicit your confidence in this transaction Can you be trusted? This is by virtue of its nature as being utterly confidential and top secret. Though I know that a transaction of this magnitude will make any one apprehensive and worried, but I am assuring you that all will be well at the end of the day. Let me start by first introducing myself properly to you. It may surprise you receiving this letter from me, since there was no previous correspondence between us. I m Mr. Anderson White (Esq.) a personal Attorney to Late Mr. Peter stobo. He died along with his family, 2009. Living the fund with no Will. My purpose of contacting you is to help secure the funds left behind by my late client, to avoid it being confiscated or declared unserviceable by the Finance Bank where this fund valued US $9,500 000 00 ( Nine Million , Five Hundred Thousand Dollars ) Mr. Peter stobo deposited by my client before he death as a family valuable as declared in the certificate of deposit he made on the day of the deposit. The Vault Bank has issued me a notice to contact the next of kin or the Consignment will be declared unserviceable and the Consignment diverted United kingdom Authority as unclaimed consignment, So far all my efforts to get a hold of someone related to my client has proved abortive. Hence, I contacted you. I am actually asking for your consent to present you to the Vault Security Finance Bank as the Next of Kin/beneficiary of my late client's fund, All the legal documentations to back up your claim as my client's Next of Kin I shall provide them. All I require is your honest cooperation to enable us achieve this transaction, Can I trusted you and I need your honesty. I wish to point out that I want this money to be shared equally between us. This transaction is not in illegal that is why is entirely risk free. I will use my position as the client’s attorney to guarantee the successful execution of this transaction. If you are interested, please contact me via E-mail:, I shall then provide you with more details and relevant documents that will help you understand this transaction well. I wish to point out that I want 10% of this money to be shared among the charity Organizations, while the remaining 90% is shared equally between us The intended transaction will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you and me from any breach of the law. However, if this business proposal offends your moral ethics, do accept my sincere apology.If on the contrary you wish to achieve this goal with me, kindly get back to me with your interest for further explanations. As soon as you received this letter, it is very important, Thanks for your understanding, God bless you. Kindest Regards.Mr, Anderson White.Email,

Anti-fraud resources: