fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs.zenaib Ayesha Ali" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 12:01:57 +0200
Subject: Can i trust you in this transaction?
i am Mrs.Ayesha Ali from Libya and also a reputed Woman in Libyan government who deny the evil of late Gaddafi the Libya leader whom had coercion Libyan people to be under his regime When average people survive with $2 per day.
Libya is the second oil producing country in the entire surface of this Earth but her citizens live in poorest condition according to international standard.I write this to see if you could help me to keep the sum of SD$10,500,000.00 Million with you for my Kids as most of our House and asset is taking by Gaddafi loyalist when he was alive. I am not sure if I would live more but in case anything happens to me I would like you to help me keep USD$10,500,000.00 which is right here as i write for my Kids since I might not survive this situation Aftermath.
If you are serious to assist me I will review to you where the funds is deposited. then you will help me to transfer the money and give back to my kids when the right time Come. My kids names are A'shadieeyah, Aadila,Amin.
I know this is unconstitutional asking this favor from you but been a human being Consider Libyan people on this scenario .This is worst tragedy and inhuman Treatment and infringement in people?s life and freedom. If you do consider Helping me email me back because I can't answer a phone because of my health condition at this Juncture all calls is monitored by the tyrant and United Nations. I will anticipate and appreciate your immediate acceptance to help me.
If you are interested Please send your full names, direct telephone numbers,and physical address, more details will be given upon your reply.
Your quick response will be highly appreciated. Finally, If you are interested I will attached my Passport, Picture of my children,
Mrs.zenaib Ayesha Ali