fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "because it still remains the fastest medium of communication" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "i feel quite safe dealing with you in this important business" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Liza Martins <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 22:44:41 +0300
Subject: Investment Help
Good day to you; please I think i feel quite safe dealing with you in
this important business transaction. Though this medium Internet has
been greatly abused, but I choose to reach you through it because it
still remains the fastest medium of communication.
However, i will like you to know that this correspondence is private,
and it should be treated in strict confidence. At first I will like to
assure you that this transaction is 100% free risk and trouble free to
both parties, My Names is Miss Liza Martins. And I will like to ask for
your assistance to RECEIVE some money for investment in your country.
This is a legitimate transaction and I agreed to offer you 20% of the
total fund as my foreign partner after confirmation of the fund in your
bank account, so please if you are interested kindly get back to me with
the following question below.
1. Can you handle this transaction?
2. Can i give you this trust and believe you will not betray me when the
funds transfer to your account?
3. That you will help me for the investment of the fund there in your
country without applying any greedy on the fund when it get to your
Your full name................
Your phone/fax number....
Your privet email address....
On the other hand, my direct families have a large quantity of Gold dust
and bars for sale to a direct buyer. On a mutual understanding, the
family will agree with you as the sole middle man for the sale of the
gold dust and bars
i will be waiting to hear from you soonest, but please if you are not
interested delete this message and donât bother to respond
Thanks and God bless you
Miss Liza Martins