fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Office Contact" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 16 Jul 2016 09:49:56 -0400
Subject: Re: Great Investment Offer
In my search for a business partner i got your contact in google
search. My name is Kakham Bogdan and I am the former Minister of
Road. i have invested a lot of money in the petroleum industry
which i bought share but over a year plus we are having problem
with the local community of the oil rich state for compensation
of the land which lead the Militant of the state of bombing oil
well of Chevron and other oil companies in the state.
Because of this problem I sold my share worth $50,000,000.00
Million and i want use my money to come to your country with my
wife and kids to invest.
I need your assistance and I need to know what area of business
are you into? i am interested in the area of investment like: Oil
& Gas, Agriculture, Aviation, Tourism, Retail, Real Estate &
Construction, IT & Communications, Engineering, Utilities,
Telecoms, Mining, Maritime Sector and Entertainment industries.
Which of the area of investment you can invest this funds with
any of the above? I also hope you have a clean record in your
country to invest funds because i will not like to lose our
You can see i sold my share with the oil companies to raise these
funds and this fund is my life which i will not joke with it.
I have gone through your profile online and i can see you have a
good record on my search on google lookup. I hope i can trust
We can make a plan for a long term business relationship.
My wife said she have been calling you on phone but no answer
from you, I hope we have the right phone number.
Get back to us soon.
Regards for on behalf of my Family
Tel: +44 703197576