fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "headquater" (this email uses bad English)
- "economic and financial crimes commission" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "(efcc)" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "(ecowas)" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Ibrahim M. Magu (CHAIRMAN)" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 08:10:54 +0200
Subject: Attn: Activate Your Online Bank Account With SCGBank Valid $2.5Million USD
FROM OFFICE OF THE CHAIRMAN,
ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIMES COMMISSION.
CHIEF DR. IBRAHIM MUSTAFA MAGU(CHAIRMAN)
NIGERIA INVESTIGATION BUREAU
14A AWOLOWO LANE, IKOYI
Motto: No Body is Above the LAW (THE EAGLE)
(BE CAREFUL OF THE HOODLUMS / SCAMMERS)
I am Mr. Ibrahim Mustafa Magu the new chairman of ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC), EFCC in alliance with economic community of West African states (ECOWAS) with head Office here in Nigeria, We have been working towards the eradication of fraudsters and scam Artists in Western part of Africa With the help of United States Government and the United Nations.
The Anti-corruption war is taken a turn as the past chairman of the commission's Mr. Ibrahim Lamorde a police officer, was removed as EFCC chairman on November 9, 2015 four years after he took over as head of the anti-graft agency and is under investigation for alleged diversion of N1 trillion and charge to court on the 17th November 2015 in a supreme court in Abuja, you can also follow the link for more information.
The EFCC as an agency that is founded on transparency is not afraid of any probe or request for information regarding its activities by individuals, groups or organs of government; so far as such requests followed due process of law. The EFCC under Lamorde did not need the prompting of anyone, when it commissioned a reputable international audit firm, KPMG to carry out comprehensive audit of exhibits and forfeited assets of the Commission from 2003 to date.
This email is being directed to you because your email address was found in our past Chairman computer Mr. Ibrahim Larmode hard disk during our investigation in our office here in Nigeria and with the information gathered, we notice that you have been scammed of so much money and no compensation has been given to you, so we decided to compensate you with a little token to recover the lost of your fund you are therefore being compensated with the total sum $2.5 Million Dollars.
Once again it is important to note that your Fund/Payment was released with the following particulars attached to it.
(1) File Number: F1267-2015
(2) Ref. Code: KP23/857/MCL5 /CO
(3) Grant Number: MICC/97846563459/206
(4) Personal Identification Number (PIN): 0866750
we have made arrangement to register an Online Banking through our Global Bank, (Standard Chartered Global Bank) where you will have full access to your Online Banking Account Fund, to transfer your fund personally to your Private Bank Account with no complication of things or questioning as the Account will be fully registered in your Name.
BANK NAME: STANDARD CHATERED GLOBAL BANK,
BANK ADDRESS: CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA (Annex),
A/C #: USD114-102-5567-8,
SWIFT CODE: SCGBL 11K111
The online Banking Processing is made much easier for you to transfer your fund to your private Bank Account personally, to avoid any delay or complication of things, you can only transfer the Maximum Amount of US$500.000.00 daily/install-mental until the total amount of your Compensated/deposited fund is transferred and completely paid to you,So you are advice to contact the processing officer Anti-Crime Foreign Operation Department of the (EFCC) Mr. Albert Uche who is in charge of your funds with your provided information required for verification below.
CONTACT PERSON: Mr. Albert Uche.
CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS: email@example.com
CONTACT NUMBER: +234-811-987-3865
Provide the information bellow to enable the processing of your Online Banking Account for deposition of your total compensated fund.
1) YOUR FULL NAME:
2) YOUR ADDRESS:
3) YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER:
4) YOUR OCCUPATION:
5) YOUR IDENTITY/INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT:
Contact Mr. Albert Uche with the information required for verification to enable him start the processing of your Online Banking Account Registration, we GUARANTEE you your safety and wish you the best of luck.
We must all act as AGENT of stamping out corruption, THE EAGLE will get you.
Mr. Ibrahim Mustafa Magu
CHAIRMAN ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION
(EFCC) FOREIGN OPERATIONS DEPT,