fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "huge amount of money" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- to contact the agent on this email for the payment: email@example.com you are advise to intimate us immediately to provide (Deliveryman; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "GOOD NEWS" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 23:16:56 +0800
Subject: YEAR AUDITING , DRAFT IS READY FOR DELIVERY IMMEDIATELY
THIS IS TO NOTIFY YOU THAT AFTER THE LAST AUDITING IN RESERVE BANK OF INDIA HEAD OFFICE IN MUMBAI WE NOTED THAT RESERVE BANK OF INDIA (RBI) CORRESPONDENT DID NOT RELEASE/ TRANSFER YOUR FUND TO YOUR ACCOUNT.
WE ARE SINCERELY SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCES THAT MIGHT HAVE CAUSE TO YOU BECAUSE OF POLICY IMPOSE ON THE HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY TRANSFERRING TO PERSON/PERSONS ACCOUNT AND PROCEDURE IS NOT ALLOWING FOREIGN MONEY /TRANSFER DIRECTLY TO PERSONAL ACCOUNT.
WE HAVE PREPARED YOUR DRAFT OF (500,000,00 POUNDS) IN YOUR NAME AND WILL SEND IT TO YOU THROUGH COURIER SERVICE TO YOUR HOUSE ADDRESS IN INDIA AND THE DRAFT WILL TAKE ONLY 3 WORKING DAYS TO CLEAR IN YOUR ACCOUNT.
THEREFORE, YOUR ARE ADVISE TO RECONFIRM YOUR HOUSE ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER FOR THE COURIER SERVICE TO CONTACT YOU FOR THE DELIVERING OF YOUR PARCEL TO YOUR HOUSE.
NAME: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
CONTACT ADDRESS_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _
MOBILE _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
AGE: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ __ _
NOTE THAT YOU WILL BEAR THE COST OF SENDING THIS PARCEL TO YOU WHICH WILL NOT COST YOU MUCH ONLY (RS: 6,300.INR)ONLY FOR THE COURIER SERVICE CHARGES AND YOU ARE ADVISE TO CONTACT THE AGENT ON THIS EMAIL FOR THE PAYMENT: firstname.lastname@example.org
YOU ARE ADVISE TO INTIMATE US IMMEDIATELY TO PROVIDE YOU THE ACCOUNT DETAILS TO DEPOSIT FOR THE DELIVER OF YOUR DRAFT.AND DONT REPLY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED TO RECEIVED THE DRAFT.
WE SHALL WAIT TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON.
COPY EMAIL : email@example.com